New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for .375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for suggestions for a load for my .375 H&H. I want to try a 300 grain TSX and a 300 grain Swift A Frame. I would like to use Varget powder. Thanks.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could help. I have only used the 235 TSX, the Sierra 250 and the Occasional 270 gr.
For the need of anything heavier, I enjoy the .416 and up to the .470

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry nothing with Varget. A large number of powders I would look to before I would get to Varget.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am open to other powder suggestions. I just have a fair amount of Varget since I use it for 4 other rifles.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget is certainly not optimal for heavier bullets in the .375 - H4350 is a lot better match.

However, the Hodgdon website does give a Varget load for conventional jacketed 300gn bullets, so that would be somewhere to start.

There's a Varget load there for the 270gn TSX, but not the 300gn.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Edit: just checked my loading logbook, and that load is quite conservative. I've loaded well past that, albeit with a light jacketed bullet [Australian Taipan 300gn RNSP] without pressure signs. I was using data from an older Australian manual that does have a rep for hot loads at times, though.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to powder for the 375H&H is RL15. I checked the Barnes #3 & #4 manuals and the only listing for Varget was with the old XLC bullets.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My go to powder for the 375H&H is RL15. I checked the Barnes #3 & #4 manuals and the only listing for Varget was with the old XLC bullets

tu2 +1 Seems to work well in this caliber for a lot of us. As was said earlier, H-4350 seems to work well also, not only in .375 H&H but in the larger calibers as well.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geronomo:
quote:
My go to powder for the 375H&H is RL15. I checked the Barnes #3 & #4 manuals and the only listing for Varget was with the old XLC bullets

tu2 +1 Seems to work well in this caliber for a lot of us. As was said earlier, H-4350 seems to work well also, not only in .375 H&H but in the larger calibers as well.

Geronimo

x3. If you don't mind, I'd suggest buying 2 pounds of r-15, one to load develop and shoot with, the other to load and set on the shelf.

Posts: 9475 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My go to powder for the 375H&H is RL15

tu2x4. I did find RL19 to give me better accuracy with one rifle. It does take almost 10grs more powder to give the same velocity as RL15.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While Varget may not be the "best" powder for use in the 375 H&H it will certainly work.

Hornady shows loads for Varget with 270 and 300 grain bullets that are as fast as anything they tested.

The first 375 H&H is reloaded for was a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester wearing a 1-4 Schmidt and Bender scope. I wanted to keep the loads below max so that the owner would be sure not to have any problems with the ammo in Africa.

He wanted to shoot Swift A-Frame bullets so we loaded up some 300 grainers over both Varget and IMR 4064.

The best load we tested was 66 grains of Varget with the 300 Grain Swift. Even with only a four power scope, I managed groups approaching a half inch. The velocity was not remarkable, only 2450 fps, but again I did not want any pressure problems. (I was hesitant to load for someone else for Africa, but was talked into it and he had great success.)

So if you have Varget on hand, give it a try.

I have loaded for several 375 H&H rifles now and have had good luck with everything from H 4895 to H 4350.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use IMR4064 and Reloader 15 with 300 grain bullets.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Frank, what's your setup/rifle with that? What velocity you get with your loads?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwoodie,

I agree with the other posters, Varget is not your best choice. My experience with the 300 grain Swift shooting it in my New Haven Winchester model 70 showed that I get higher velocities with W760 versus Reloader 15 but overall the accuracy was higher with Reloader 15. The most accurate 3 shot groups with Reloader 15 averaged about 1" at 100 yards with a maximum velocity of 2483 fps. With Winchester 760 the best group averaged 1.5" at 100 yards with 2823 fps, considerably more. I am playing with seating depth and crimp etc with the W760 load to try to tweak it down a bit in size but it would certainly do for most shots out to 250-300 yards. The Swift is a superb bullet and time proven performance.

Good luck

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WW-760/H-414 for the heavier bullets in the Great 375 H&H Mag.

JM

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
My go to powder for the 375H&H is RL15

tu2x4. I did find RL19 to give me better accuracy with one rifle. It does take almost 10grs more powder to give the same velocity as RL15.

+5 For the cost of a pound of RL15 you can have accurate consistent loads. Or feel free to re-invent the wheel if you would rather.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my dad also uses IMR 4064 with 67 grains and a 300 gr SAF. Rifle is a CZ 550

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
80 grains of H414 with nosler 260.

Zinfandel and venison are GOOD!

Posts: 51 | Location: Mendocino County California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have come to really like 78gr of WW760 for 300gr bullets in the 375H&H.

FWIW

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ran up on the tread, I use 76.5g( thats the max in the book)IMR 4350. Acording to the chart it gives about the max velocity. I'm a fan of IMR 4350, works in my 7mm also. It is pretty versatile. H 4350 has the highest velocity by the book though I have not used it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have said that load in my 375 was for the 300g swift a-frame. I did what my wife does, I was thinking it and expected everybody else to read my mind. This week I will start working up a load for a 350g Woodleigh solid for a elephant hunt. That will be fun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
+6 on RL-15. My go to for 300 gr TSXs is 68.0 gr of RL-15. Yields 2604 fps from a M70 SS Classic and about an MOA.

Just works.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was using either 79gr's of 760 or 80gr's of H4350 with the same results and 300gr Woodleigh PP's. I tried RE15, but the velocity was down a good 100fps over the other 2 powders.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote