Find
Notify
Tools

375 Winchester Die Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted
Can you guys tell me if a RCBS Cowboy 38-55 seater plug will work in a standard RCBS 375 Winchester seater die? The seater in the 375 is designed for jacketed bullets. I'm shooting cast bullets and that's what the 38-55 Cowboy die is designed for. The 375 seater is cutting a ring in the cast bullet which doesn't hurt any thing except that it looks bad.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried seating the .375 in the .38-55 die?
It should work ok unless you are crimping too.
To crimp take the seater plug out of the .375 die if the .38-55 die cannot crimp the .375.

There is not a lot of difference in the two dies sets. RCBS once told me that the .38-55 sizer is .005 tighter because of the thinner .38-55 brass. My die sets are standard RCBS .375 and .38-55 (not cowboy dies)

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 375 seater is cutting a ring in the case bullet which doesn't hurt any thing except that it looks bad.

I've used a wad of cotton wraped with some 1000 grade fine sandapaper on the few seating stems that have mared bullets suchly and Voilá; coupla seconds/minutes wringing your wrist will have the issue gone forever.

Just did this a coupla days ago on my .223 Remington Lyman Seating Die Stem that was marring the 55 gr. Zombies - issue gone.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
quote:
The 375 seater is cutting a ring in the case bullet which doesn't hurt any thing except that it looks bad.

I've used a wad of cotton wraped with some 1000 grade fine sandapaper on the few seating stems that have mared bullets suchly and Voilá; coupla seconds/minutes wringing your wrist will have the issue gone forever.

Just did this a coupla days ago on my .223 Remington Lyman Seating Die Stem that was marring the 55 gr. Zombies - issue gone.

Spinning the offending punch in a drill or drill press with some silicon carbide paper would make short work of it also.
I have heard of folks filling the offending punch with wax or epoxy and letting it set up with a bullet seated in it too.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
Can you guys tell me if a RCBS Cowboy 38-55 seater plug will work in a standard RCBS 375 Winchester seater die? The seater in the 375 is designed for jacketed bullets. I'm shooting cast bullets and that's what the 38-55 Cowboy die is designed for. The 375 seater is cutting a ring in the cast bullet which doesn't hurt any thing except that it looks bad.

The cowboy seater plug (38-55) works just fine in a standard 375 Win die and RCBS sent it to me for free. The ring problem is gone now.

I have used RCBS equipment for a long time now. I wasn't asking for anything free, I was willing to pay for it + shipping but they sent it free just the same.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load both the 38-55 and the 375 Win with cast bullets. I use the same set of Lyman 38-55 dies to load them both with. I use the same idea that the die makers use with 44 Spl/44 Mag dies sets, the spacer washer. Set the die up for the shorter cartridge and use the spacer washer under the die when loading the longer cartridge. My Marlin 375 came with dies but the seater was too tight to work with oversized cast bullets and the expander/bell was too small also. My 38-55 dies solved the problem.

Posts: 130 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote