Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 Casull
 Login/Join

posted
dose anyone have a good load for the .454?? im mainly interested in the powder and the powder weight since i already have 100 300 gr JHP thanks

"In a wold of compramise, some men don't"

Posts: 16 | Location: Midland Texas | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacob_300RUM:
dose anyone have a good load for the .454?? im mainly interested in the powder and the powder weight since i already have 100 300 gr JHP thanks

Jacob, welcome to the forum.

Every load is a good load for the Casull. All you have to do is find the right gun for it. So you take five rounds, see how they perform. If not so good, try another gun with five more.

On the other hand, if you don't have an unlimited supply of guns, you could do it this way:

First, what are you intending to shoot? You pick a bullet and a velocity for the purpose you are shooting. Are you after thick-skinned heavy-boned game (Grizzly Bear) or thinner-skinned game like caribou or moose. Long-range or do you expect to be closer. Will this be your primary weapon or backup to a rifle? Or are you shooting at inanimate objects like steel silhouettes or bowling pins? Will it be for extremely fast defensive shooting at short range (like being surprized by a bear while fishing)?

So, you now have a bullet and a velocity required to perform on your chosen target.

Second, Then you go to your library of loading manuals and find a powder that puts your chosen velocity right in the lower middle of its range. (e.g. if you want to deliver you 300 gr bullets at 1250 fps select a powder with published velocity range of 1100 through 1500 (I'm just pulling imaginary numbers here, but you get the idea)

Third, load a lot (quantity of five is a popular lot size) rounds with a charge weight that you expect to deliver your desired velocity, another lot with a little more powder, another lot with more powder and take them to the range and see how they shoot. Watch for signs of pressure. Be prepared to quit shooting and disassemble the rounds if any of your lesser lots show signs of pressure.

If you have access to a chronograph, take velocities.

Sorry about the length of the post. If I had more time it would be shorter.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

one of us
posted Hide Post
31.0 grains of Win 296 is very accurate in my .454 with the Hornady 300gr XTP's. The 300gr Speer Unicore bullet was also accurate with 31.0gr of 296. Unfortunately, the Unicore's did leave the brass a little sticky on extraction. The new Speer manual indicates that's no longer a safe load for that bullet.

I obviously worked up to the loads from a reduced charge. Hope this helps.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote