THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blazer brass 45ACP with small primer pocket???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I was working on a run of about 500 45ACP brass to get some ready for some fun and found that some of the Blazer brass would not fit with the large pistol primers I was running. So I first thought that the primer pocket had some burrs on it and got out the primer pocket reamer to go to work

The darn thing wouldn't fit in the pocket. However the small primer reamer would fit just right.

I didn't know that Blazer had made a run of small pocket 45ACP. I knew that Federal had made a run.

Is all Blazer brass small pockets?

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cci/blazer,fed and win all make them.
just save them, you'll see more

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Due to the lower cost of small primers it appears that in the future all 45 ACP brass with will be small primer.

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
Due to the lower cost of small primers it appears that in the future all 45 ACP brass with will be small primer.

Really? The large ones aren't that much more expensive, especially for what some companies charge for ammo. I could see blazer doing it because their ammo is cheap, but not the others. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
yep-- its a pain in the butt. I save mine to load and shoot at SASS Wild bunch matches-- especially the matches which do not return your cases. Best way to get rid of them for me!

Posts: 5710 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they suck!!!

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Start a coffee can for small primed brass and when it fills up run them as a batch.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic883:
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:

Really? The large ones aren't that much more expensive, especially for what some companies charge for ammo. I could see blazer doing it because their ammo is cheap, but not the others. Why fix something that isn't broken?

At only $.10 (ten cents) per 1000 difference in cost, when your making several million rounds a day, it adds up quickly.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The small primer pocketed .45S are usually used with non toxic primers, which are only made in one size. CCI is probably buying over runs of this brass at a low price and using them for their regular ammo.

Small primers don't generate the heat or pressure of the large primers so the brass will have a larger vent hole to compensate. They are fine for plinking ammo but should not be mixed with normal brass where consistant accuracy is desired because they will not give the same pressures and velocities. It is also not safe to open the primer pockets up to take large primers due to the larger vent holes using existing data for large primers.

With the availability of .45ACP brass the best option is do as posted above, wait until you have enough for a batch and load them together, or toss them in a brass bucket at the range.