New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 vs. 6.5-06 A square
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are they the same or are there differences with the A square?

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A Square Just took it to SAAMI and put their name on it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was my guess, but I couldn't find anything definitive.
thanks Paul

One of Us
Picture of Barstool(er)
posted Hide Post
Same cartridge dimensions, but the A-Square chamber's throat is much longer than the old standard 6.5-06 wildcat. The throat on the A-Square is so long it is very difficult to seat a bullet anywhere near the lands, and because some bullets don't like to "jump" it limits you selection.

Most gunsmiths don't know this and will order a SAAMI reamer made for the 6.5-06 A-Square.

Barstooler

Weapon of Choice: 30mm Gatling Gun

Over 1500 posts as "Barstooler"

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 09 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Good to know

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
but as far as buying 6.5-06 Ackley dies is concerned, they should be the same thing, correct?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Barstool(er)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:
but as far as buying 6.5-06 Ackley dies is concerned, they should be the same thing, correct?

Yes the 6.5-06 Ackley dies will be the same and you can buy them from RCBS. They don't say "Ackley" however they will say "6.5-06 Improved 40 degree shoulder"

But you may get the same problem as a standard 6.5-06 in getting the rifle chambered correctly. The gunsmith will typically order a 6.5-06 Ackley reamer that has a long A-Square throat. I know, it happened to me twice!! You may have to have the gunsmith order a special made reamer with a shorter throat.

Barstooler

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 09 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barstool(er):
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:

Yes the 6.5-06 Ackley dies will be the same and you can buy them from RCBS. They don't say "Ackley" however they will say "6.5-06 Improved 40 degree shoulder"

But you may get the same problem as a standard 6.5-06 in getting the rifle chambered correctly. The gunsmith will typically order a 6.5-06 Ackley reamer that has a long A-Square throat. I know, it happened to me twice!! You may have to have the gunsmith order a special made reamer with a shorter throat.

Barstooler

How long ago did A square adopt the 6.5-06 as theirs? I have a 6.5-06 AI barreled by Shilen about 30 years ago that has about 1400 rounds through it. It has a generous throat but I don't know if it's from erosion or it was made that way. The 2 rounds pictured chambered relatively easily in my rifle. The top is the new Sierra 130 gr TGK. Even the Sierra tech I talked to about them commented on the throat. Either bullet was deadly on antelope tho.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1568 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Barstool(er)
posted Hide Post
quote:
How long ago did A square adopt the 6.5-06 as theirs?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Unless things have changed again,you can not buy dies direct from RCBS. I used to buy all my specialty + wildcat dies from them direct but when I called sales last year he told me that,you have'nt bought any in the last 2 years then. I don't know if that was government directed or company policy but that is what the salesman told me.I do hope that has changed.Most of those group D dies are not going to be sold by regular suppliers.I hate to see this.Although I have all the dies I need I hate to see the availability lost for the new guys.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Norman I just built a 6.5-06 this past summer and bought my Redding dies from Brownell. They were the only place I could find them online. They were a little pricey but not bad. I bought the 3 die set for about $100 as I recall. Close to that price anyway.

Oops I misread your post. I could have purchased straight from RCBS as I called them to see. But I prefer Redding and found them for about the same price.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote