Find
Notify
Tools

High Pressure Signs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,

I shot my first handloads today and produced a 3 shot group of 1.5 inches at 200 yards (very pleased, but I'm sure I can get it to group better) with a 125 grain Nosler BT on top of 68.5 grains of H414.(Minimun load according to Nosler)

So here's the question. Why would my bolt feel sticky at a starting load? Also, the bolt sticks fire every factory load I've ever fired from the rifle. It's a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM. Is this a sign of pressure or something else.

Thanks, Dave

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the primers backing out?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, not at all

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So here's the question. Why would my bolt feel sticky at a starting load? Also, the bolt sticks fire every factory load I've ever fired from the rifle. It's a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM. Is this a sign of pressure or something else.

The bolt sticks fire every factory load ?.

I'm not sure what sticks fire means ?.

I'll assume your bolt is sticking after firing a round . Does it stick while loading a round ?.

Head space come to mind immediately HAVE it CHECKED !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, all cartridges load in a normal, consistent manner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sticky bolt lift with a WSM using factory loads is not uncommon. In order to live up to hype, the factories are loading this series of cartridges to very high pressures. I suppose that they feel that such pressures are not dangerous (and I'm sure they're right) in the brand new and modern actions in which these rounds are chambered, but reloading the cases multiple times at similar pressures may not be sustainable.

There are two possibilities with your rifle: The first is that the initial firing is swelling web of the case enough that chambering is sticky; however your description seems to indicate that your reloads chamber without resistance, and bolt handle resistance only occurs after firing.

The second possibility is that your action's locking lugs or lug recesses or both are somewhat rough. This can cause sticky bolt lift even with nominal pressures. You might try honing them by coating the lugs with valve grinding compound and working the action a few dozen times until it smooths up.

I have the same rifle in .300 WSM, but am just beginning to work with it so my experience is limited. Although factory loads are clearly very "hot", I have not experienced any sticky bolt lift. I'm guessing your mating surfaces are just a little rough, which is causing your stickiness.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stone,

I just wanted to make sure my rifle and handloads are safe. Aside from the sticky bolt, there are no other signs of high pressures. I did not know that the manufacturers were loading hot cartridges. Well, I guess I'll just have to keep the loads on the light side until I can be sure there is nothing out of the ordinary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey David, Try putting a small dab of Grease on a Paper Patch and then wipe the back side of the Bolt Lugs with it. You do not want a BIG goober of Grease, just a trace.

And wipe the rest of the Bolt as well while you are at it to keep finger prints from becoming permanent.

But, I'd guess Stonecreek nailed it.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote