Notify
Tools

My .338wm & Woodleighs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi Guys,

These are the targets from my last range session on Saturday. Developed new load for my Weatherby Vanguard 338wm. Details:

Bullet: Woodleigh 250gr PPSN
Powder: Somchem S361
Primer: Federal 215
Case: Winchester

Unfortunately a problem with the chrony will have to go again this weekend to measure velocities. Should be between 2350 & 2600 if I go with previous results. I shot 2 groups of three with each charge weight with the same results. If I was a better shooter this could be tighter I’m sure.

As I've said before this rifle eats anything - even 1/2" groups with old Winchester 300gr Power points. It does not like anything in 200gr though. Probably too short to stabilise ???

69gr Powder charge

69.5gr

70gr

70.5gr

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's going well!

I love my weatherby vanguard in 300 wby

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you can kill about anything you want with those.

Posts: 19458 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Looks like you can kill about anything you want with those.

I'm also wondering whether it is at all necessary to play around with the seating depth at all.

Being a hunting load, would there be any benefit to spending much more time on this load? The average group size over 6 different charge weights was 0.892". I doubt if I’ll ever be able to get this accuracy in the field anyway!

The .338wm is not the type of calibre I’ll be taking to the range and shoot the whole day to squeeze the last few mm's from a target.

Probably answered my own question now, but maybe someone can convince me to play some more!

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't play around any more. I don't, I find a load that gives good groups for the type of hunting I'll be doing and stop there.

When I brought my frist 22 250 I looked at the book thru a charge of wcc844 in to the case ran it over the crony got the vel I wanted shot several sub .750 groups. Stopped there and have killed thousands of varmints with it.

I do it with all my rifles I when get good group size and vel where I need it. and stop playing.

Posts: 19458 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A .338WM is capable of some good accuracy if the shooter will stay in practice. IMO, it's not a rifle that you pull out of the closet the night before the big hunt. While I think you've got a load that will kill just about anything, maybe playing around with the seating depth will be an added incentive to keep going to the range with it.
When I had my own range in WV, any time I set up to shoot, I'd also shoot one or more of my thumpers 8 or 10 times to keep my hand in. I'd usually practice field position shooting with them.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
Managed to shoot over a chrony the weekend. Loads 2 (2530ft/s) and 3 (2550ft/s) were the most consistent with a deviation of 9 and 13 ft/s. Could probably squeeze another 100-150ft/s out of them for not at max. yet, but more than happy with what I got. Will be doing most of the hunting with this load under 150-200y anyway!

I had 3 cartridges left of the load used on target 3 used them out to 200m gave me 3 shots in .89". That's going to be the one, I think. Did not try the others at 200m yet.

One last thing that was a little strange. Shot 2 groups of load 1, both sub-moa but variance in velocity of 45 and 68ft/s I thought that such a difference would have a negative impact on accuracy!?

Cheers
Johan