Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester ball powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Just wondering why I dont see more references in here to these powders, opinions??

Ive been pleased with their results, am I missing something?

Posts: 10165 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started loading I used 748 and 760 for my varming rigs and got great results. Then I got "smart" by talking to people and learned that they burn dirty, were temp. sensitive, etc! Seriously, I found H335 to work a little better in my .223, but I still think highly of both powders. Winchester irritates me because they keep changing container and screwing around with what used to Mag Rifle Powder (MRP).

I'm a sucker for thinking there's another powder out there that will improve my groups, so I've accumulated WAY to many of them. I suppose a smart person would be advised to stick to one "family" of powders (I'd probably go with Hodgdon if I had to limit myslef to one brand, although the IMR fans will certainly be heard on that one..)

Ball powders may have their critics, but for mass production of prairie dog rounds they're hard to beat because they meter so well.

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rogerinneb:
I suppose a smart person would be advised to stick to one "family" of powders (I'd probably go with Hodgdon if I had to limit myslef to one brand, although the IMR fans will certainly be heard on that one..)

Roger

Id have to disagre with that statement. There are some powders that perform outstanding in certian rifles I have that other brands have no answer for. I put performance above brand loyalty.

Posts: 10165 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, but I think sometimes I'm too clever by half and would have a more consisten load development strategy if I used fewer powders and worked on other variables. But I dunno.

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rogerinneb:
I agree, but I think sometimes I'm too clever by half and would have a more consisten load development strategy if I used fewer powders and worked on other variables. But I dunno.

I see where you going, its like if I only had one rifle it would probably be shooting better than any of the handfull I have now.. [Wink]