New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading federal target load shells
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have about 1000 federal taget load shells, orginally they were 12 ga, 2.75 dram, 1 1/18 shot, number 8. These are the ribbed shells.

Are theses good shells to reload? How many time can they be reloaded?

Does anyone have a reload recipe? I'm looking for the components and source to get them. I'm looking to see how inexpensive I can reload these for. Cost per box new = $5.

I'll be reloading on an old Mec 600 Jr.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon has loading data. If they list your empty casing, they are reloadable. Buy components locally or Midwayusa. Reloading may not save you a whole lot of money.http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If these hulls have the paper base wad it all depends on the condition of the paper base wad.

The tube will reload fine. If the wad comes loose and sticks in your barrel your gun will be damaged.

I limit reloading of these to two reloading. If I am lazy only one. If the hull appears to have ever been moist or wet they are never reloaded.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are the ribbed shells.

“Target Loads”? Are you talking about the Gold Medal one-piece plastic hulls? Do you want a 1 1/8 load or something heavier?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I never used the Federal with a plastic base wad like a AA. I did use the Federal I belive mine were game loads. They had the ribbed sides and a fiber base wad. I found that after about 2 loadings I started getting splits when I crimped. So after the second loadings I would just leave them in the field.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote