THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

405grain Remington bullets in the .458 Lott?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody ever loaded these .45-70 bullets in the Lott? Did they shoot okay?

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
They'd work if you kept velocities under 1800 FPS. Above that speed, they're too soft to hold together well, IMO. I have used them in the Elmer Keith .45/70 load, 53 grains of IMR 3031 for around 1800 FPS, and they held up pretty well at this level....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I should have said that I just want cheaper bullets for target practice, so I'm not worried about on game performance.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I'll betcha you can drive them fast enough in the LOTT to watch vaporize about 25 yards off the muzzle! LOL

Seriously, using 4759 or similar, with a polyester wad and they should be fun to practice with.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote