New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady .224 cal 55grs SP w/c??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I noticed Hornady has started selling this bullet in bulk (6000 in a case) at very reasonable prices (about $.05 per bullet). Has anybody used this bullet, and what were your results, accuracy wise?? I'm primarily thinking of using it in a 1-12" .223 Rem.

How do you rate this bullet compared to other bulk packed products (e.g. Rem 55 grs PLHP)??

Thanks for any input in advance.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Hornady 55gr sx bullet as my standard in a 22-250 for 20 years. I have been shooting groups in the 2's and 3's with this bullet. I had the opportunity to try the bullet you are mentioning and my rifle seemed to shoot the same size groups.

I don't have significant experience with other bulk bullets

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them and find them every bit as good as any Remington bullet.

cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you see those, Mike?

Thanks.

PS: Let me know what kind of consensus you come up with for that bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Midsouth has them, and I believe I also saw them in Lock, Stock & Barrel's catalog. Not sure if I can find it on their website, though?? Anyway, the Midsouth link should work.

Thanks to all who contributed thus far, we still neeed more opinions and experience! Thus far, the feedback has been positive. Not surprisingly, normally Hornadys are among the better shooting bullets.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll have to buy 100 of those.
Lately I've been cleaning out some of my odds-n-ends bullets. A lot of hunting and varmint bullets. Anyway, I was surprised how well some of these bullets shot out of my 1/9 and 1/7 twist AR15s, especially Hornady 50gr SX and 50gr Sierra Blitz.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just saw that Pat's has them for $46/1,000. Man, that's cheap!
Pat's Reloading