New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fed 210M primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a recipe for use of the Federal 210M match large rifle primer but I can’t find them around locally just to test if the load is worthy or not, I don’t want to pay the haz fee without purchasing thousands. Would you trade off using a large rifle Remington 9 ½ Primer instead if it was you? Are same type Primers safe to swap?

And, anyone knows the difference between the Fed 210 and Fed 210M?
Can’t get either, anyway……

Regards,

popcorn

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is acceptable to substitute "like" components so long as you reduce the powder charge a few grains -then work back up. 210M's differ from 210's in that there are more stringent controls placed on the quantity of priming compound that goes into it.
IMHO Federal makes the best primers available.

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
I would have no quams about sub a Rem 9.5M or 9.5 or a WWM for the Federal.

I will say it's a toss up in my guns between Rem and FCC primers.

The Diff between the 210 and the 210M is the M is a little hotter.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, anyone knows the difference between the Fed 210 and Fed 210M?

As buckshot alluded to, the M in the Federal nomenclature denotes a match grade primer. Since they are both large rifle primers from the same company, this is one time that I don't the change of component justifies a redevelopment of the load.

Only my two cents, however........

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buckshot,

I would agree with everthing in your reply post, except the operable word "available." Federal primers are anything but available in my part of the country. If you get a line on some I would love to know where.

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD Shooter:
buckshot,

I would agree with everthing in your reply post, except the operable word "available." Federal primers are anything but available in my part of the country. If you get a line on some I would love to know where.

Right on. I stashed a bunch of 210M's away some years ago, and am now afraid to burn them up varminting as I know it'll be tough finding replacements, so I feel your pain.
South Dakota, eh? I love BHSS and stop there every chance I get.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have heard people say that primers dont make that much different. but i know better, i have tried 210M and to me personaly, i can not get them to group good in my loads. i stick with the standerd ol WLR. they have always gave me my best groups with the best volcity, even in my so called accurace loads

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I would give it a shot. I think they are probably just a more uniform primer. I haven't found primers to be a big factor when working up loads as far as accuracy was concerned. When I want to find a load, I am more apt to pick the bullet I want and use as many powders as I can to find one that willproduce the accuracy I am looking for.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's an article about primers in the latest issue of Precision Shooting that is worth reading. Some interesting photos of primer ignition in the article.
Also, many years ago, the benchrest shooting crowd went to Federal Match primers, and I followed suit. I was lucky enough to find a brick of 1000 of them about 6 months ago and snatched them up. There have been no Fed 210, or 210M primers available here since then.
But, there are lots of other makes of Large Rifle primers on the shelf, and would substitue with them if need be.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I made this offer awhile back with no takers, which really shocked me.

I have access to about 18,000 Fed210 Match primers about 30 minutes away. I am happy to purchase primers and ship them, but you will have to pay for hazmat.

The store has 2 cases unopened (5000 per case), and 8 or more boxes on the shelf.

2 weeks ago he had over 55,000, so they are going fast.

You want some, best let me know asap.

If you really want to know whether or not primers make a difference, take a known load that you like and switch primers, then test them.

I heard that the only difference b/w Fed 210s and 210Ms is that they Match primers are made by the more experienced employee, that's it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckshot ; Is correct IMO any way . A reasonable substitution can easily be made . Just follow his advice about dropping back a few grains and working up .This should be a Standard practice when ever any components your unfamiliar with are substituted .

I've used Federal Winchester CCI and Remington primers on occasions when I've run out of Federal Match . I still prefer Federal and then Winchester as their very close if you believe the Chrony !. Least wise in the calibers I've checked .

For my ultimate accuracy loads 210 205 Match , then Winchester's . My targets prove this to me .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Availability is a good reason why I quit using Federal Primers...

I had several boxes of a 1000 each... sad thing is that I have more primer duds that were Federals than anything else....

so I use CCI, Win and Rem when available.. and haven't shed a tear once....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

I am very interested in the 210M primers. Could you please email me at

lazyhent@lazyhent.com

Thanks.

SD Shooter

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
email sent.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:

I had several boxes of a 1000 each... sad thing is that I have more primer duds that were Federals than anything else.

Interesting. I bought 3000 Remingtons in Iowa in 1995 and 1/3 were duds. I was told they are the most consistent primers made, lot to lot.

Tried some again in 2001, had 4 duds in a row first batch I tried. I won't use Remington again.

Had 2 duds since 1990 with WLR primers out of thousands.

Never had a Federal dud once.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Primer misfires caused by a production error (any brand) is for all practical purposes....... non-existant.

Improper storage of primers is the main culprit in misfires.

I've fired gazillions of rounds of ammo I've reloaded ...... I've NEVER had a misfire that I could trace to manufacturing defect.

Store primers properly (and keep good records). If you have a couple "misfires" in a batch of primers.....get rid of them.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few duds from CCI, but that was back in the 80's.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
While I have found no diff. between Fed210 & Fed210M, changing primers can make a sig. diff. in you accuracy. FWIW, RP 9 1/2 have given me slightly better accuracy in my 260ai target rifle.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
From a FCC field rep to me.

They test primers in lots the ones that are not quite as hot or consistent become 210 the best become 210M.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Every misfire I had was within weeks of purchasing the primers. All of my primers are stored in safes. Primer storage has never been an issue for me as a cause of misfire. However, before I purchased them, I cannot say how they were stored. Since 1989, I've never had a Federal primer misfire. After contacting Remington about the issue, they did send me new primers, but I gave them away.

I buy the match Federal primers b/c that is what is available locally, and the cost is not much more than the others.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the most common cause of "misfires" with primers is the primer not being seated all the way to the flash hole valley. the anvil cant compress the powder in the cup, thereby preventing the requisite bang.

I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds, rifle, shotgun and pistil and I have never found a defective primer. usually rechambering the round will produce a bang the second or third time around due to the fact that the firing pin has walked the primer onto the flash hole seat.

Loading primers in to brass and not putting powder and bullets in them soon enough will compromise them also.

I keep all primers in a sealed tupper wear container in my temperature controlled shed year round and have never had an issue. I just used some cci primers that I have had since 1982 and they all went bang.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well heres a real shocker for the vast majority of you I'm sure .

I've had two misfires in center fire cartridges !. In slightly over 40 years of building my own .

Both were CCI in my 44 Mag. I've never had a misfire using any other primers including some that should have NEVER BEEN USED !. Like OLD wooden boxed Western brand!.

No I'm not superman or real lucky , I've screwed up my share of shotgun shells . Left out wads no shot , no powder or left out the primer and powder pissing all over the loader and bench !.

Just had those two bad CCI primers in 44 mag.

I never said I hadn't screwed up reloading !.I have and more than likely will continue to .

I have learned from my own weapons as well as others , Federals require a strong firing pin and spring as their a little harder than others .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Doc i am interested in the Fed 210M primers as well my email is wdchissy@yahoo.com

Posts: 2 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a misfire with Federal primers, and have shot several thousand of them, shooting Centerfire Benchrest, and all other shooting as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
btw - just wanted to note for the record that I was having alot of misfires with cci prtimers....or so I thought....turned out my ruger pistol needed a new spring and a tune up....for all I know the primers were just fine....

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot many rifles of my own and dozens per year belonging to others. Years ago when I made a survey of my targets I discovered my best groups were with Federal primers. Today that is all I shoot. I shoot 3000 plus rounds per year from my private benchs and while I welcome company it is all done my way with no exceptions. When I reload for a buddy I use his brass and powder but always my primers. With others rifles it is 210 and 215 primers. For all my own reloads it is 210 and 215 Match primers. I don't always achieve one hole groups with others rifles but usually very close if not the real thing. With all my rifles I achieve one hole groups, some taking a while, with me being the weak point, not the loads or rifles. I keep at least 10,000 of each on hand at all times for the tight periods we are going through now. Lately it is quite interesting to compare those price tags from just last year. I don't know if my way is right but it works for me. I am a hunter of game at home and in Alaska, Canada, American West and one trip to Africa (hoping for more) with all my loads pointed toward field use. A lot of paper punching gets me where I want to be. I am also training a son, six grandsons, with a grandaughter and great grandson in the wings, each of whom will have a fine shooting stick when I am gone. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hurley,

Thank you for your comments regarding Federal primers. We have very similar beliefs, but not only about primers. You truly have brought this thread to a most valuable point - that you are making your best effort to pass our heritage along to the next generatioins. It is heart warming to read of your commitment to teaching your children and grandchildren the passion that our Second Amendment has allowed in our country. My thanks for your remarks.

SD Shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe I am just timing my purchases right, but I have not had any trouble finding boxes of 1,000 Federal match primers large small rifle pistol at Cabela's. They are the only primers I use. The only definite primer failures I ever had were with CCI primers, as someone noted earlier. They happened often enough that I will shoot factory ammo before I will use them. I have to admit I have a long memory and hold grudges.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote