New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Steve Ricciardelli
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerSteve where do you place your bullets as far as depth goes when starting out with the first round of test bullets. Do you seat a full diameter? I plan to shot some 120 grain 260 (.264) this week and have seated the bullets .264 into the neck or almost the whole neck. With this MK 77 I don't think working close to the rifling will be possible and may not need to anyway. Thanks

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
It depends on the rifle...

For bolt-actions I load three dummy cartridges just shy of the maximum length of the magazine. (All three must function properly without any hitches.)

IF that OAL is too long for the chamber, then I load so that the bullets are just kissing the rifling.

For my Ruger single-shots, I load so the bullets are just kissing the rifling.

For my Winchester 94's, I really don't care where the bullets are seated, as long as they run through the action without any problems. Usually the crimping groove is where I put them.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks Steve
I see what you mean. I have seated these 120 grain pro-hunters .264 into the case and might get abit longer in the mag. I guess I will shoot them as is and then when I get the best group go for the longest length to see if it helps. Thanks again!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote