New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing straight walled cartridges?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you really need to resize straight walled cartridges?

posted Hide Post
Yes, size them or the bullet will be loose when the case is reloaded.

Posts: 36 | Location: Salmon Arm BC canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I use a factory crimp die, do I need to resize?

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
You don't say whether we are talking pistol or rifle?
In a pistol case for the utmost relibility I always FL size. In rifles I partial size just enough to hold the bullet firmly and to chamber without binding.
With my 38/55 bench gun and breech seating the projectile, I can reload the same case many times but it is only being used to hold powder and a primer.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking rifle (45-70, 458 win mag, the guys having problems with the 458 lott).

I have always fully resized my 44mag. It has been too easy not to.

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
If I use a factory crimp die, do I need to resize?

With BP loads in .45/120 I 'neck sized' the brass until it was just tight enough to hold the projectile while allowing hand seating onto a pre compressed charge. I then used the Lee Factory Crimp die to lightly crimp so the bullet would not move while carrying them around.

Worked fine in a single shot rifle but I think if you are feeding from a magazine you would need to full length (or at least tighter neck) size or the bullet would move forward in the case under recoil.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote