Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dies
 Login/Join

posted
Can someone explain carbide dies for me? I want to get a set of dies for .243 Win. but I don't want to have to go and get another set later because the first set isn't up to speed.
I'm not a benchrest shooter. Should I avoid competition dies or would they cover all my needs down the road?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as a rule of thumb, carbide is only 'worthwhile" for pistol rounds.. main advantages are that they are LESS sensitive to lube or not, and will last somewhat longer..

jeffe

Posts: 38650 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
There are very few carbide dies made for bottle neck type cases and they`re expensive. They are great when loading straight walled cases as you need no lube but, add nothing more otherwise. I`d stay with standard dies by RCBS, redding or Forester since you`re not loading for match shooting. The std dies will do all you need and except for serious benchrest should load as accurate ammo as you`ll need for most other types of shooting.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a set of RCBS dies that I was planning to sell. If you are interested in them, send me an email.

mlambeth@sbcglobal.net

They are in good shape. I have a FL die and a seater die, in the box.

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote