New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lot to Lot Consistency - H380
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
From those that use it, how is its lot to lot consistency.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've found it to be very consistant

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Very consistant.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consistant I'm not sure. I bought one 8 pounder because it was suppose to be the 22-250 go to powder? Well it doesn't deliver the Hodgdon advertised MV for 24" barrel in a 26" barrel. I've gone to IMR 4895 and Benchmark. They produce higher MV and better accuracy.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem with H-380 it is temerature sensitive. It is not one of Hodgdons Extreme powders meaning it has a higher sesitivity to temperature changes. Ya get a good load developed at 60° and at 40° temperature has a greater effect on the load than other Hodgdon powders.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I agree with J Johnson about its use in the 22.250 and not being the "Hero' powder it is claimed to be, it sure seems to like to be full in 223 cases, especially with the heavier bullets..28 grains is my usual load, regardless of bullet weight up to 70 grain bullets..

As far as temp sensitivity...unless your are talking 30 below hunting in Minnesota or Alaska, or 120 degrees in Arizona or Texas shooting prairie dogs, I wouldn't get all hung up on it..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's capable of some amazing accuracy in the 8x57

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H380 in my .22-250 because it produces the best accuracy. Since I'm shooting a short-barrelled M70 Featherweight, high velocity is a relative thing.

Have used it with great success in two .30-06 rifles too.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent success with H380 in the .22-250. I have recommended it to friends who, when they tried it, had good luck.

I am beginning to believe that if you shoot a 52-55 grain bullet with a relatively hot primer (like Winchester) and around 38 grains of the stuff, it will shoot in nearly any .22-250. It's almost to the point that I would say that if it doesn't shoot in your rifle at about those loads, you rifle is not going to be a keeper.

Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
doesn't shoot in your rifle at about those loads, you rifle is not going to be a keeper.

I beg to differ, because my same 22.250s that don't shoot H 380 all that well, shoot very small little groups with Reloader 7 and IMR 4895... and that includes 4 different rifles..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire

I have to whole heartedly agree with you. H380 has been a very ho hum powder in my 22-250 but IMR 4895 (which I may add is listed as the most accurate powder for 22-250 in Nosler 4) has shot faster and more accurately than said H 380. Then there's always Benchmark which beats both of them velocity and accuracy wise in my Winchester Heavy Varminter.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote