New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does powder last?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got about 20 pounds of FREE powder today from a retiring reloader but alot of it looks like it is 20 years old. Is this bad?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is, you should probably ship it to me to properly dispose of (by shooting ). If properly stored powder can last quite a few years. If you see brown spots or a distinctly different smell than the normal either it could have gone bad but most likely you've received a valuable and useful gift......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If stored in a cool dry place it can last many years.There are still amounts of powder left over from the second world war that functions perfectly.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

How long does powder last?

If kept in a cool, dry place, powder, even 19th Century black powder, will last essentially forever! They're still digging up black powder-filled cannon shells in Europe from the Napoleonic wars that are capable of expoding!

one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above , WW2 powder still works fine if stored properly.

I found an old can of Blue dot that had been stuffed in a box of motorcycle parts for close to fifteen years. Stored outside in a drafty unheated/uncooled garage in the midwest, damp basements , attics , and generally abused by the elements. The cardboard can ( yeah, they used to package powder in cardboard cans. )showed the signs of age, the powder still worked fine.
The primers that were in the box still worked fine too.

Just don't ask why I carried a box of old motorcycle parts around for 15 years...

Travis F.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Until you pull the trigger.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote