New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mini-14
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can some one recommend a good load for my Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle ? I would like to use it for coyote hunting. Thanks!

Posts: 121 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Are you starting from scratch as far as powder and bullet selection?

What range will you be shooting?

The mini 14 has a 1 in 9" twist so it will stabilize bullets up to 70 grains. That opens up a world of choices in a 223.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it a newer Mini14 with 9" twist or the older one (actually the mid model - 1st models had 10" twists) with a 7" twist? can make a difference on bullet selection and load.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a "mid" series model. I am starting from scratch with this load. I have bullets from 52gr. to 77gr. and a pretty good powder selection on hand.

Posts: 121 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use BL-C2 w/ 55 gr Hdy in mine. Seems to work just fine on Coyotes out to "wayoutthar".

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 935 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
55gr Nosler or Winchester bullet, 26.5gr win748, Rem 7-1/2 Br primers and Fed brass. COL to fit magazine.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just for interest sake: a bit ago i took 14 223's out to the range with different loads. what i found surprised me much. 13 of the rifles preferred 60-63 gr bullets (the 63 gr sierra in particular) only 1 like 55 best, in the past i always used 55 gr. but because of this i switched to 63 gr. i used to have one (styer varmniter) that only shot 69 gr decent, but even then didn't shoot well so it went down the road

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
landkiller

If it is the "mid" series it probably has a 7" twist. Best accuracy and performance I got with 55 gr bullets was with the Winchester 55 gr SP and the Hornady 55 gr SPBT w/cannelure. I loaded them over 26 gr AA2230 in LC cases using WSR, fed 205s or CCI450 primers. Velocity was 3030 fps out of the 18.5" barrel.

Better performance came with the Winchester 64 gr SP or the 63 gr Sierra SP over 26 gr AA2460 (pretty much duplicates M855 velocity) in the LC cases with the same primers.

Light weight, thin jacketed SX and other explosive varmint bullets spin apart if pushed much past 28-2900 fps. I did not try any of the ballistic tipped bullets in the 7" twist though.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote