New
Find
Notify
Tools

.410 shot loads for my 454???
 Login/Join

<robsguns>
posted
I want to load some shot cartridges for my 454 casull. I dont know if a .410 hull will fit, but I'm going to find out tomorrow when a buddy brings me a hull. What I really need to know is, do any of you have experience loading shot in a brass case, and if so, how do you go about ensuring the shot stays in the case, and enough pressure is generated in the case to be effective??? I've been thinking about a over shot card, maybe some wax too, but I'm not sure. Thanks

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
You might be happier just getting a bonafide .410. I have a .45/.410 t/c barrel[10"],,,it does fine for the .45colt side,,,leaves a bit to be desired on the .410 part,,pattern spreads too quickly for my liking.I think the rifling really screws it up.But that's me,,I think you can get end caps from speer,I know they make them for the cci .45 acp shot shells,,Do'nt forget to put in a wad to separate the powder from the shot,,good luck

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I forgot,,,I e-mailed speer two years ago about loading thier .308 125gr tnt bullets in my .300 win mag.,,,still waiting for a reply.Jerks.Try precision reloading,,They eat,sleep, and breathe shotshells and everything that goes with them.Thats probably your best bet,add a .com and you have thier website.happy shooting

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
<robsguns>
posted
Thank you for the info.

<eldeguello>
posted
robsguns, In .45 Colt brass, I use 7 grains of Unique, an inverted .45 cal. gascheck, two .45 cal. lubed wonderwads, then fill with no. 9 shot, then another inverted gascheck, then crimp. Shot load for a .45 Colt case. Should work in the .454 case as well, with a little more shot...
Does a job on snakes & other small critters out to 15 yards or so.

<robsguns>
posted
eldeguello,
Thanks for the load data, I believe I may try that one! Ryan

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I just recived the latest catalogs from both precision ,and www.lockstock.com. Precision did'nt list the caps{sorry for the mis-info},but lockstock did,#8785 empty shotshell capsules-.45 colt capsules w/base plugs bx/25 $3.50. cat.pg 16,1-800-228-7925. If you make some,,please let me know the results,Good luck,Rob [Big Grin]

<robsguns>
posted
claybuster,
I feel like an idiot, I didnt even think to look in that catalog, and I have it sitting right here. I just looked it up, pg. 16. Thanks buddy, I'll let you know how it goes.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
We all do at one point or another.Was thumbing through it pondering how I could justify getting a .416 rigby when I saw the listing.Happy shooting,Rob