Notify
Tools

Need a couple 45/70 loads . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
Howdy bubbas,

I'm in need of a couple 45/70 loads: one for plinking and one for hunting deer and hogs. I've got a H&R handi-rifle ( single shot, 22" barrel) and want to develop a few good rounds for it.

For plinking, I'm just going to buy some cast bullets for it. For hunting, I'm thinking of trying either a Nosler Partition or a Barnes varient.

Anyone care to share your info for 45/70? Much appreciated . . .

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TH, For a plinking load, you can't beat Frank Marshall, Jr.'s load of 13gr. Unique under a 350gr.-405gr. cast bullet. 27grs. H/IMR 4198 or AA 5744 are also excellent. Can't help you on the hunting loads though.

About commercial cast bullets: There are 3 potential problems with them. First, they may be too hard and thus not obturate enough to fit your bore. Second, they are often sized to .457" or .458" whereas your bbl. may require .459". If undersized and too hard, bore leading is a likely outcome along with poor accuracy. Third, commercial CB's use a hard lube for reasons of cleanliness, appearance and stickiness. However, the lube may also be too hard to do its job properly. If you purchase commercial CB's, you can help things by swishing them around in Lee Liquid Alox diluted slightly with mineral spirits.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my load is 45gr of IMR4198 with 210 primer and 300gr partition. I went up to 51gr but got flyers and vertical stringing after 45 or 46gr. Velocity is tad over 2K.

This is with a marlin lever with microgroove however.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a healthy dose of H4198 and the 300gr Partition at just over 2400fps in my .45-70 Handi, but be ready for some recoil, it's not for the faint of heart or recoil shy! You may want to consider a Limbsaver recoil pad and maybe even some weight in the stock. Here's some data that should help ya get a start..

http://www.realguns.com/loads/4570.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, men!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
My 22" H&R loves a 340gr Lee cast bullet (quenched wheal weights) with 30gr. of IMR4227.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote