posted Hide Post
carbide aLL THE Way

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
+1 on carbide.
But are you asking about a brand????
Redding first then lee or RCBS. If you buy lee dies get some new lock rings the nuts they supply are next to useless
Kerry

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use and really like Redding's Titanium Carbide Die Set in 45 ACP for single stage presses. If you are going progressive, then I'd recommend their Pro Series Titanium Carbide Set. They have a large radius at the mouth for easy case entry.

Kevin

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have cut off the radius of some Lee Carbide 45apc dies [with Diamond abrasives] to resize the web for a tight chambered 45acp rifle I built. Some of the Carbide rings would crack.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dillon.

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding carbide sizer
Lee expander if using an AutoDisc powder measure.
Hornady seating die.
Lee carbide crimp die.

Now if only someone would put them together in a single package.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
they do there called rcbs.
fishing

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best dies for any straight wall case is Lyman or Redding.

That's because of their two-step and flare plug in the expander die. (Redding copied the Lyman design) That expander makes it very easy to seat either jacketed or cast bullet without damaging the base. And they won't over flair any slightly long cases either, as other die sets will surely do. Anyone's carbide sizer and seater will do nicely.

Add the Lee FCD for a perfect four die set.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Lee carbide dies and have no complaints. I don't know about how they work on a progressive press because I reload on an O-frame press, but for me they work just fine and make very fine ammo. thumb

...and the price is right!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Redding, bar-none, makes the best dies I have ever used. For Straight walled cartridges, buy carbide and be done with it. thumb

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My preferences for taper crimped pistol cartridge dies:

Anyone's carbide or Titanium Nitride sizing die
Lyman or Redding expander
Hornady seating die
anyone's taper crimp die

Hornady has the best lock rings.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Hornady Titanium Nitride or RCBS Carbide dies. I also hear Redding dies are top quality but have no personal experience with them.

Posts: 262 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Dillon also.

The only issue for others is that the flare is developed at the powder position, not in any of the die.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep Carbide or Tin RCBS REDDING or DILLON . There all really good quality Dies .

If you had asked prior to two weeks ago . I could have sold you a NIB set of RCBS for # 25.00 .

I had an extra set which never had been opened . I sold them actually traded them .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote