Find
Notify
Tools

300WSM loads for Browning A-Bolt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
Hello, Brother-in-law won a Browning A-Bolt 300WSM in a raffle, 40bucks spent, lucky SOB, well I happen to have the dies, so I told him I'd reload for him, pricey factory loads you know, will be using it for Wis. whitetail and Muleys out west, anyone out there suggest a accurate bullet/powder combo for this rifle, I've tried 64grs. H4350 with 180gr. SSTs from my other brother-in-law browning(hunter model) same rifle, and from the targets I saw, was not impressed by the accuracy, maybe a 165gr. SST would work better? Let me know, Thanks, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This load shoots very well in my A-bolt, under MOA. I know its a fast powder for this caliber but how can you argue with results. I adjust the oal to fit my magazine.

http://www.loadyourown.com/loaddata/detailcaliber.asp?id=2665

Just cut and past if this is not hyperlinked.

[ 08-31-2003, 18:16: Message edited by: simdow ]

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
simdow, I guess I was looking for a less expensive bullet for him, the cost of the Barnes is a little steep, and would not be needed for deer anyway, an M1 tank maybe, would like to keep with bullets like Ballistic tips, SSTs, regular Hornadys, Sierras and alike, thanks for the input though, I suppose I could try that powder for any other 165gr. bullet though, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes bullets = too dead?

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried a 150 gr. load? If so, what was your load?

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simdow,

your browning shoots barnes bullets very well have you had any work done on the action or barrell, im a big fan of the barnes bullet and have some triple shocks on the way, any expience with these in the 300 wsm?

one of us
posted Hide Post
fostech,

I had the gun accurized a little bit. He squared the reciever face to the bolt centerline, laped the lug bolts, squared the barrel shoulder to the bore centerline, recrowned barrel to 79degree with c'bore and lapped, ect. I got a spring from Timney triggers that enabled me to set the trigger at 2#, and pillar bedded the stock.
According to the gunsmith the gun had very tight tolerances for a factory gun, I personally like the trigger springs from Timney alot and they were only $20, alot cheaper than most trigger jobs.

I've not tried any of the tripple shocks in the 300wsm, but I do like them in my .270 Eclipse, and it's not had any work done on it except the trigger springs.

My 300 also shoots the 140 grain XBT's on top of 74 grains of reloder 22 in MOA.

It shoots 150 grain XLC's on top of 73.5 grains of reloder 19 right at an inch also but some times they spread to 1.75. This is a little hot and could account for them opening up but I figure this is most likely due to my poor shooting skills.

I love Barnes, they always leave 2 holes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used 200gr Nosler Partitions for the last 2 years on white tail and black bear, all have been good clean kills and pass throughs except 1 deer. The bullet went through the front shoulder and I found it in the far rump roast, looking just like Nosler says it should. HOWEVER because of that I worked up a load with 165 gr XBTs
because I think a X would have made it all the way through, and I agree that 2 holes are better than one. Other than that my 300 WSM Composite stalker hasn't found a bullet it doesn't like from 165-200grs in Sierra Barnes Nosler Partitions and BTs or Hornady Match. I may try the Interbond but if the Xs do what I hope there may be no point to.

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bryan W:
Try IMR 4064 with a Federal 210M primer. My rifle shoots this load in the .5 MOA range, at 3197 avg. fps. My rifle has a Lilja barrel and a VERY short throat so your load will vary from mine. For 180 gr. bullets by far the best powder I have found is Vithavuori N550. again with Federal 210M primers. I tried the magnum primers got more pressure, and less accuracy regardless of how I tried to tweak the load the magnum primers would not give the same accuracy.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to take a look at this site, it's dedicated to the Short magnums. Lots of data, good discussion forum.

http://www.shortmags.org/shortmags/

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote