THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best way to form 6-284 from 284 WW brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have 400 284 Win brass for a 6x284 gun I'm havin rebarreled(was a 220 Swift). I have a Redding FL S-die in 6x284 w a .269 bushing. About 1 in 4 case I collapsed the shoulder. Is there a beter way? I thought about getting a bigger bushing say around .290. Do you think that would work better or should I buck up an buy Redding's 6x 284 case formin die for $ 50?

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S de are very good but not wonderfull forming dies best is to run case in a redding form die n�1 ( closely a 6.5/284 form die )and finish by using a 6.284 full sizer

finish the forming with a 6.284 full is important to get a prefect neck shoulder junction and be sureto make the headspace on shoulder and not on neck/shoulder radius

have a full sizer allow you too make prefet neck turning when yoy want to neck turn close to the shoulder , 6.284 is a short neck case

I use a 6.5/284 RCBS full sizer and a Simplex ( Autalia made ) 6.284 fullsizer

last point : try to use imperial sizinx wax toavoid drop oil forming in shoulder

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try annealing the cases first by standing them in a tray of water covering the head 3/4-1" up, then use a propane or mapp gas torch evenly heat up the neck and shoulder area till its getting bright around the top then knock it over in the water. this should soften the brass enough to reform easier.

PW

Posts: 68 | Location: Snohomish, Wa | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
Just go out and buy 6.5-284 Hornady brass and run it in your 6-284 FL Die

<Big Stick>
posted
Simply size the brass in the bullet seatin' die first(it's of more generous dimensions),then poke it in the bushing die.

You'll lose no cases,in that manner...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
today i took the rest of my 100 cases and deburred the outside just a smidge. The rest went through my s- die easily. Although runout varies from .003-.008, the necking down step is smooth. If I can't get runout down to <.003 I'll splurge for 100 Lapua 6.5x284 cases and see if it gets better. Maybe accuracy won't suffer that much, but i'd like 1/3 moa out to 500 yards.

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I make mine using an RCBS .25/.284 trim die first, then the regular full-length 6mm/.284 full-length siszing die. I have never fired mine at 500 yards, but at 100, it will shoot five 100-grain Sierras through a hole that looks like 2 or 3 shots went through it!! [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I pull the neck down with a .264 Mag sizer first, then through the 6-284.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bubba John:
I pull the neck down with a .264 Mag sizer first, then through the 6-284.

I was going to suggest a 6.5mm Remington Mag sizer.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ya'll for the input. I've got a 6.5x284 Win FL die on the way from sinclair. I'll try that.