New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Win Mag brass simply REFUSING to size down
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all, I have a simple question that is perplexing my limtied modicum of intellect. I ran a few pieces of Remington Peters .300 Win Mag through the die yesterday and had 4 pieces that refused to kneck down. I found this out after I charged the cases and tried to seat the bullet, having the neck refuse to take a grab on the projectile. They were previous reloads that were a gift that I dissected for components so no idea on how many firings they had on them. They were within trimmed spec also. They looked to be in good shape and I ran them through several times trying to get them to neck down to no avail. I tossed them in the trash bin but it has been keeping me curious for a day now...

Any ideas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look very very closely for cracks in the neck. Sometimes the crack is almost imperceptible, but that is about the only thing I can think of if they won't size down far enough to grip a projectile...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full length size the brass with the expander ball removed from the die and see what happens.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need more info;
What type and brand of die?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
Need more info;
What type and brand of die?

RCBS

A friend suggested checking the cleanliness of the die and to try removing the ball and sizing also. Although my other cases are sizing fine so I don't think it's the die...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strictly shooting in the dark but you might try buffing your resizer ball a bit with some #0000 steel wool.
just torque the spindle in a drill motor and give it a spin.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although my other cases are sizing fine so I don't think it's the die...

As others have mentioned I'd take the F/L Die apart, inspect & clean it.

I was thinking perhaps there could be a mix-up of parts somewhere in the Die such as a F/L Die body for a larger caliber with a .308" Expander Ball.

If it's only this particular batch of brass then I would suggest that in this case (pun intended) the brass is culprit; "overworked" and now brittle causing the necks to split and therefore not affording the proper bullet pull (purchase).

Or, the brass in question is either too thin in the neck area (manufacturing defect) or has been Neck Turned leaving the necks so thin that the F/L Die cannot reduce them enough during the re-sizing phase and the Expander Ball is simply slipping through the necks? Obviously there's not enough tension to afford a reasonable purchase on the bullet.

Not attempting to be rude here rather get to the root of the issue ..... but if the bullets are not receiving enough "bullet pull" (purchase) during the sizing & seating process surely you must feel some difference in pressure & effort operating the Ram between this batch & other batches of brass?

If I'm being too direct - call me a bad name ....

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Ok.

Lightweight! Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CRYBABY
You're in BIG trouble now - I'm telling my Mother!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
neck turned brass?

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If other brass works in your die and you don't know how many reloads this brass has been through then it might simply be work hardened.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
If other brass works in your die and you don't know how many reloads this brass has been through then it might simply be work hardened.

My guess too. I ran into a somewhat similar problem when working loads for a new M70 in .300WM. I used brass that was fired numerous times in my Tikka. The rounds loaded fine and fed with no problem. But after firing the bolt was sticky at the top of the throw. I was able to "persuade" the bolt fully open and eject the rounds, but obviously this is not good.

Bought some new brass, no problems since.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
quote:
Although my other cases are sizing fine so I don't think it's the die...

As others have mentioned I'd take the F/L Die apart, inspect & clean it.

I was thinking perhaps there could be a mix-up of parts somewhere in the Die such as a F/L Die body for a larger caliber with a .308" Expander Ball.

If it's only this particular batch of brass then I would suggest that in this case (pun intended) the brass is culprit; "overworked" and now brittle causing the necks to split and therefore not affording the proper bullet pull (purchase).

Or, the brass in question is either too thin in the neck area (manufacturing defect) or has been Neck Turned leaving the necks so thin that the F/L Die cannot reduce them enough during the re-sizing phase and the Expander Ball is simply slipping through the necks? Obviously there's not enough tension to afford a reasonable purchase on the bullet.

Not attempting to be rude here rather get to the root of the issue ..... but if the bullets are not receiving enough "bullet pull" (purchase) during the sizing & seating process surely you must feel some difference in pressure & effort operating the Ram between this batch & other batches of brass?

If I'm being too direct - call me a bad name ....

tu2

I did not notice any discernable difference in the effort required on the ram. I inspected the cases and their are no cracks either. I'm going to assume it's work hardening or turning. Either way it was 4 cases out of 40 so Im not too worried...

Thank all!