Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Wby mag, 75gr sierra and... H380?
 Login/Join

posted
Howdy, wonder if anyone has used the H380 loads as shown in Seirra's manual, for their 75gr HP bullet , in .257 wby mag?

I have these bullets left over, and the gun & caliber is brand new to me.
Seems everyone shoots a bullet weight/type I dont have yet, and I want light and fast anyway, lol. "long range Coyote" Smiler

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That powder in that cartridge should create a flash about 4 feet in diameter.
I would pick an extruded powder.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
lol, yea thats kinda scary Smiler

So far I am using the "standard" powders of RL22 and H4831. Though actually H4831SC.

Have not shot it yet (it is a Howa-Bee S2).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use H380 in the .257 Weatherby at your own risk. Ken Waters' Pet Loads report on the cartridge recounted how the use of H380 and 87-90 grain bullets at moderate-level published load data (Sierra and Lyman) actually froze the bolt on his MkV rifle. His loads showed much higher-than-expected pressures, and he strongly recommended against using this powder in the .257WM.

OTOH this is just a single instance - but if I was to try H380 I'd start at the lowest starting load I could find. Since I have so many other powders which are better suited to the big .25's case I'll eschew the use of H380.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote