Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What About Moly?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

...I dislike the mess and clean barrel variations.

I'm also have heard that Moly might attract moisture and could possibly damage a bore if left in too long....

Hey DJ, The real mess is getting your initial set-up working properly. Some folks use the "Pill Bottle"(tight lids on jars inside the tumbler) and some(like me) just dedicate a tumbler bowl to do it in.

And there are a few more steps than just taking a bullet out of the box and putting it into a case.

1. Wash the bullets in hot water with Dawn dishwashing liquid soap. Let them soak in it for 20-30min and swish them around every 5min or so. Rinse in hot water a couple of times and set in the sun on a towel to dry.

Never touch the bullets with your hands once the rinsing begins until the Carnuba is on them.

2. Put the clean dried bullets in your Pill Bottles (or bowl) with a box or two of "Plated BBs" and maybe 1/4 teaspoon of MOS2. Let the BBs "peen" the Moly into the jackets for a couple of hours.

3. Separate the Moly Coated bullets from the BBs with a collander or slotted spoon.

4. Take untreated corncob and treat it with "Liquid Kit" Car Wax in a clean bowl. Let it tumble for an hour or so to let the Wax get on all the cob. When you reach in to feel the cob, it should feel waxy to the touch. If not, add some more wax and let it run another hour or so. Once it is waxy, you are ready for the last step.

5. Put the Moly Coated bullets in the bowl with the "Carnuba Wax Coated Cob" and tumble them for only 1 minute.

6. You can now remove the bullets with your fingers and place them in boxes for loading.

I originally got into MOS2 because of an article in Precision Shooting. There was even a link to it on the net for awhile, but it is no longer active. The thing that got my attention was where NORMA had done some testing with it on a "HOT" 6.5mm and had many thousands of bullets through the barrel "with no signs of accuracy degredation".(May have been 10k rounds, I just don't remember.)

So, I got into it in order to "preserve" a barrel on one of my rifles. I really dread the day it will eventually need to be replaced. It is one of those rare barrels that likes just about any powder and bullet combination you put in it. So far, the Moly is doing just great in it.

Concerning the Moly drawing moisture, there is a lot of strange info out there concerning this. It seems that some folks got the mistaken impression that just because "some of" the Bench Rest folks go a weekend using Moly without cleaning their barrels, then if you use Moly you no longer need to clean barrels. I think this is what caused the confusion to begin with.

However, I still clean my barrels after shooting them. Even clean them between groups at the Range. It takes a couple of passes with a Nylon Bore Brush and a little Bore Cleaner. Wipe it dry with a couple of patches and then "lightly" grease or oil the bore and you are done. Doing this, I've never had a single problem with "rust" inside a barrel I use Moly Coated bullets in.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Liquid car wax on cob media sounds like a good thing to try. Thanks.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dip the bullets from a loaded round into Simonize car wax.Just a light coating will do.Rubbing alcohol on a patch will clean the wax from the bore after shooting.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This all sounds like more work than just letting a few more patches soak the bore for a bit.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I dip the bullets from a loaded round into Simonize car wax.Just a light coating will do.Rubbing alcohol on a patch will clean the wax from the bore after shooting.

Hey Red, Could you expand on that a bit? Do you mean regular non-coated bullets? If so, I'm real interested in what got you started trying that and how well does it work to keep Copper out of the barrel? Or, what were you trying to accomplish?

The only problem I see with doing it that way is 94%-98% of the "Contact Patch" (Bullet to Bore) is still uncoated with the wax. Looks like any benefit would be difficult to notice.

I'd considered running a test with Carnuba Coated plain bullets(no Moly) but didn't have a suitable rifle at that time. Now I do and will probably try it.

Hey Kevin, It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I do agree that it takes more effort than just loading a bullet straight out of the box.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but positive results with moly.

I use the "pill bottle" method for coating bullets but use no BBs, only the bullets and SF moly from Rose Mill. I do not wax the bullets after moly as wax can foul the bore where moly will not bond to moly, only to metal.

My cleaning procedure is an oiled patch followed by 3 dry ones. The oil I currently use is Breakfree CLP, but have used Kroil, Outers gun oil, penetrating oil by CRC, and a generic light machine oil, and none really seemed superior to the others.

Editted to add:

I had over 4000 rds through my last barrel on my .300WSM. Cold bore shot was always within the group. I at times fired over 100 rds through that barrel and through the new one between cleanings with no degredation of accuracy.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote