New
Find
Notify
Tools

Imperial Sizing Die Wax
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been using Imperial Sizing Die Wax for sizing cases for several years now....Over the years, I've tried several methods of getting the wax off the cases after sizing them...So far, none of the methods I've used have been easy or completely satisfactory....Do any of you have a good, easy method of getting the wax or lubricant off cases after sizing them..A few cases are not really a problem..But when you shoot as much as I do, and load 2 to 3 hundered cases at the time, removing the lubricant can be time consuming and difficult..Any help would be appreciated.....George

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I just wipe them with a towel. If I had a large quantity I would put them in a collander and give them a healthy shot of brake parts cleaner then agitate them a bit before letting them dry.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I also wipe them with a paper towel. Alcohol is a bit less toxic and that's what I use if for some reason I feel the towel isn't good enough. All you need to get off of there is enough so that the brass grips the chamber when it's fired.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the wax for special jobs like necking up calibers etc but find it harder to clean off than rcbs lube so I use the rcbs for the majority of my sizing. FWIW I also believe it's important to remove lube from the inside of the case necks before loading.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tumble your brass. That'll remove the residue. It beats wiping them off one at a time even if you have to remove a grain or two from the pimer pocket flash hole.

Posts: 50 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put them in boiling water with some detergent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a damp paper towel or rag with some alcohol on it and wipe them one at a time...If you tumble them they collect a scum on the wax.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading everyones answers I conclude that no one is using lubrication on the inside of the case necks? If you hit the top of the case mouth with your thumb on the forward and your finger on the rear stroke (a little imperial on your index finger and thumb) your expander ball will come back out a whole lot easier. And you will reduce overall case length stretch by doing so. METEs method is the only method mentioned thus far that would address removing the imperial from the inside of the cases.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandfather (OHE) invented Imperial Sizing Die wax, and I still use the method of removing it that he did, an old towel. Sure you can use a tumbler too.

Another item from him (OHE), to make your inside case neck rezing stroke easier, use a bore brush dipped into graphite, one pass in the neck is all it takes and all comes out smooth as can be. I would not allow Imperial, or any other lubricant inside my cases.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
sierra2: My grandfather (OHE) invented Imperial Sizing Die wax

Good for him! I love the stuff. It was a Godsend back when I used to roll cases on that nasty old RCBS pad with its gummy concoction.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If only your grandpappy would have put some on his lips for chapped lips he could have been a millionaire. Many, many thanks to your granddad.
Roger on the graphite. Started with that, then moved to motor mica and now I just say screw it since I already have the brass in my hand and use imperial in place of the graphite or mica. You must degrease of course if you do this. Now that I am divorced it is once again easier to throw them into a bag and put them into the washing machine on gentle hand wash delicate cycle.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A towel (rag) with orange/citrus Windex does real well. I use a skoche in the neck and just brush em before charging.
The graphite sounds interesting.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote