New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOT LOAD....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I, for the first time as a newbie reloader, witnessed high pressure signs Sat. at the range.
It scared me to have my bolt stick on my beloved Sako 300 win. mag.!!
I also saw the primer had pushed out, and the bolt face has a black ring where the primer was at...
Is there anything else, besides not shooting these remaining rounds that I need to look at???
I went over my other load by half a grain, and was quite shocked by it all...YIKES.. [Eek!]
reloader 22 80.5gr...sakofan...

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
180gr. Swift Scirocco bullet...

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Sounds a tad hot to me considering that my .300 Win Mag load uses a 180 Ballistic Tip or Partition (both shoot to same POI)over 76.0 gr. of RL22. This is a nice, very accurate and comfortable load for my Browning A-Bolt.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
SAFE loading range for your load......

RL-22 From 63.5 grains to 77.0 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

That looks like 3.5 grains over max, not 0.5......

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
When begining to load, follow the advice of those who are more experienced. The manuals are an excellent place to begin. In my humble opinion, after loading for 39 years, accuracy far exceeds power for a useful reload.

[ 04-01-2003, 00:04: Message edited by: 308Sako ]

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ooops...I just rechecked that data...
I looked at rl 25 not rl 22...grabbed the wrong powder...thanks guys...sakofan.. [Frown]

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Betcha you won't do THAT again! After almost 15 years of reloading I still double check what powder I want to load and what powder is in my hand before I pour it in the powder measure. You will develope your own 'system' after a while.

Be careful and apply the old carpenters rule....'measure twice, cut once' Which basically means 'double check yourself' [Wink]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah..the thing is, I have NEVER had to load real hot to get my rifle's to shoot good, especially my Sako.. sakofan....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't just load up 80.5 gr of Rel 25 with those Swift either.

start under and work up.

That 180 gr bullet has a lot of bearing surface, and will fool you with pressures.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
Yep, the Scirocco needs about 1 or 2 grs. less powder than most other bullets.