Find
Notify
Tools

powder questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
hey guys. just took my first steps into reloading yesterday. resized some 8x57 mauser cases. will be loading those, as well as 45/70 and the 303 british. i was looking at IMR powder for the 8x57, as well as the 45/70 and the 303. you know, kill two birds with one stone. what powders do you recommend? thanks.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Go to Alliant powders web site and you can find ALL the info you need and print it out. Really good sight. vangunsmith

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer IMR powders over others in general. For just one powder to start IMR 3031 would be my first choice.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3031 is great, or 4064 as it is a bit slower, and maybe even 4198, as it is just a wee bit faster than 3031.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Powders with burning rates like IMR 3031, 4895, and 4064 will work pretty well in all three of those cartridges, allowing you to only buy one type.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't say what kind of rifle your 45/70 is and whether you will be loading to black powder pressures or higher pressures for a Marlin or Ruger. At any rate, the powder which would probably come closest to doing everything you want in all three might be 4895 (either Hodgdon or IMR, both are very similar).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone. i figured on the 3031, as that was what was recommended by a few other guys i talked to. thanks also for the website, i'll add that to my favorites. the 45/70 is in a marlin lever action 1895 rifle, the 8x57 is in a WWII K98 rifle, and the 303 is in a couple of enfields i have. thanks again everyone!

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbSave yourself some money and get either 8# of 2230-C or 8# of wcc844. They are close to the burn rate of 4895 which by the way you still can buy as a surplus powder.I did ,however , receive a corroded 8# container of surp 4895 and haven't bought any in about 8 years for just that reason. sofaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
terry... good to hear from you again. how ya doin? enjoying the winter (your time off)?. i don't kniow how to send pm's but figured i'd drop ya a line and say hello. take care buddy.

*We Band of 45-70er's*