New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win brass availability
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been looking for new, unprimed Win brass, in 300WM, for 6 or 8 wks now, to continue my load developement. Can't find any online or locally. Any explanation for shortage?

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
We need to rename you Rip Van Winkle!! Where have you been for the last 2.5 years? I have not seen any Winchester brass in stock at any of the majors for years until just recently and it has been only 38 spl, 45 acp, and 30/06. Good luck!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I can get a few min. I can pull the bullets on a couple boxes I have loaded in new brass.
I sold the rifle but can always use the bullets, if you need the brass.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Explanation of the brass shortage? Here is the short version; Election, obama, sandy hook, attorney general I forgot his name, hoarders, production, shortage. Hasn't been any brass for a very long time and it will be a very long time until the pipeline is filled again.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is some on gunbroker right now. to spendy for my taste but it is there if you really need it.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You might have to resort to buying loaded ammo just to get the brass.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it will be a very long time until the pipeline is filled again.

I doubt it will be all that long.

1. We have, at least for the time being, stopped spraying small arms fire all over two Asian countries and thus the military demand has somewhat abated. Barring a doubtful ground war in Syria (or pick your spot), military demand will not be keeping brass mills busy for the next couple of years.

2. The "critically" short supply of .223 and 9mm paramilitary (bangbangbang) ammunition has turned into a glut with ammo of that type stacked to the ceiling of the large sporting goods stores and online suppliers, so the machinery which was turning that stuff out is now being switched out to produce other calibers of sporting ammunition (and its brass).

3. The hoarders have long-since bought more than they can ever use. Their widows will be selling it for pennies on the dollar at garage sales in the not-too-distant future. (The worst hoarders tend to be old farts with understandably abbreviated life expectancies.)

4. "Ordinary" (non-compulsive) hoarders simply can't afford to put any more money into their hoards (or their spouses simply won't let them.)

5. Hoard-and-resell types are finding themselves stuck with thousands of rounds of .22 RF and are lowering their asking prices almost daily as supplies improve. Some of them who were late to the party are getting burned so badly that they won't even think of hoarding-for-resale as brass supplies loosen up.

6. For all of these reasons the brass supply is catching up to demand. Common calibers will be the first to be widely available, while it will take a while for the less-common ones to wait their turn (maybe for months or even a couple of years) to have the right dies mounted on the drawing machines to start turning them out.

.300 Winchester Magnum, typically being the 10th or so most popular caliber for reloading, should be in the first "wave" of new production. But if you're waiting for some fresh .300 H&H or .250 Savage to hit the shelves it will likely be a somewhat longer wait.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote