THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Reloading suggestions for a pre-64 Win Mod 70 264 win mag

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading suggestions for a pre-64 Win Mod 70 264 win mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a recently acquired 1959 Win Mod 70 in 264 win mag. This is the "westerner" model with the 26 inch barrel. I'd love to find a good shooting load with a 130-140 grain hunting bullet. I'd appreciate any load suggestions that any members have found particularly accurate. Thank you in advance for any help.
MTsmith

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Ok running on memory after a glass of wine. Seems like I remember the throat being short on the early 264s with a stepped bullet. Just be sure of your contact with the riflings.

I happen to like the 130 accubond. Something slow like 7828, rl22 rl25 retumbo are hard to beat.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help Paul.
Your 0.02 cents of info was superior to my 0.01 cents of cluelessness.
DJS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the newer Supergrades. Imr 7828 in WW brass w/ Fed 215 and a 140g NP shoots very well. I used the 140d Horn SP for load work up .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting that rifle since I was a kid. It is my favorite, named it Betty since my mothers name is Betty and she always kept me well fed. Until Hogdon bailed on me, H870 was the go to powder. When I finally ran out, I tried almost everything and finally settled on WW 780. Good velocity and accuracy in my rifle using 130 Acubond.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote