New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Loads for 375 H&H
 Login/Join

<Alaska>
posted
Will be working-up a load for a 375 H&H with a 21 inch barrel. Planning on using 260-270 grain bullets. Anyone with a good accurate, hunting load? Bullet recommendations too. What about the X-bullets?

<eldeguello>
posted
I know you are looking for HV hunting loads primarily, but, if you also want a good plinking and practice load for your .375, try the Lyman .375449GC cast medium-hard and use 60 grains of H4831. MV is around 1900 FPS. I find this load is in about the recoil and power range of a .30-06, and is accurate to boot. I use it for target and game up to deer size.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best thing about the .375 H&H is the way it produces a big punch with heavy bullets. Using bullets around 260 grains is getting it to shoot "ballistically" close to the .338WM.

I am thinking about the average moose and bear hunting ranges in Alaska. I could be wrong, of course, but in my view using heavy-for-caliber bullets is better than seeking extra velocity from both the .375 H&H or the .338WM. For large open areas going down in weight to achieve higher velocity may work, but I would still have some handloads with heavy bullets for closer shots on tough critters.

I read in one of the other forums where someone used 260 (265?) grain bullets to kill a bison with his .375; he killed the bison, but it took five shots through the lungs. The bullets worked, but he was not happy that they had separated into pieces inside the bison.

I would guess that using lightweight FS, Barnes-X, a Swift A-Frame or some other tough bullets should work, but one thing for sure: A 300-grain Nosler Partition out of a .375 H&H is pretty tough on any game.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<konst>
posted
hey,
the article u refer to with the bison:
the guy used a pistol in .375 , not a rifle.
I�m not sure about the velocity, but i think the bullet speed was very low, and i guess that�s why the BT performed not so very well.

cheers
konstantin

one of us
posted Hide Post
70g R15, with Hornady 270gr spires. Remington magnum primer. Really nice groups...1 to 1.5 inches.

ABSOLUTELY no luck with the X bullets...3 or 4 inches was about it. Don't know why...

Posts: 181 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've just finished getting close to a load for my Winchester MOD. 70 in .375 H&H.

RL 15 71 gr. AVG. VEL. 2510 fps.
FED. Nickle cases.(will soon go to plain brass).
North Fork .300 gr. soft point. (they are very tough)
OAL 3.60
FED. 215 Gold Medal Magnum primers
5 shot group 0.80". 4 shot group 0.55" @ 100 yards.

I am now looking to tweek the load to be alittle hotter and hope that the accuracy holds.

North Fork was making a bullet in .270 gr. that was softer than the .300 gr. bullet and not suited for BUFF.

All the best with your loading.
SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
Alaska,

Finished working up loads with 270gn Woodleighs for my Sako L691 & a friends Ruger .375. Both get excellent accuracy with the same load.

Here's the recipie:
WW Cases
WLR Primer
W760 83.0gn 1 gn over max per Speer Manual so Back off & work up
Woodleigh 270gn Protected point.
No pressure signs in both our rifles and sub 1/2 inch in mine and sub 3/4 inch in the Ruger - 3 shots 100 yds. Have tried this load over several sessions & it shoots the same day in day out.

I know Woodleighs cost the earth in USA but in Australia its the same price as Hornadies. Figure that!!

Regards,
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
260 gr Partition over 74 grs of Re 15 goes 2740 fps in my 23" barrel. Very accurate and has taken two nice bull elk with complete penetration at 50 and 80 yards, one being through both shoulders.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Re 15, 76 gr(over max in some manuals. Start low and work up. Milage may vary) 270 gr Swift A-Frames.About 2750 fps. 21 inch barrel. Same bullet and 78 gr IMR 4350 great accuracy and about 2500fps. How about Barnes x300 gr and Varget loaded up to about 2500(can't remember the dosage) Or Re 15 and 220 gr Hornaday FN bullets for deer loads. The GS custom bullets shoot best for me with Re 15 72-74 gr and 265 HV's. 2670-2775 fps. Watch the HV's, they built up pressure in my rifle long before the Swifts with similar loadings. Hornadays 270 SP and IMR 4350 loaded at 75 grains. If pressed I can come up with several other loads for the lighter weight bullets. Barnes 210 and 235 are good deer rounds at 300 win mag velocities. Can't remember the loads right now. By the way the 265-270 gr bullets will work wonders on most any NA game with any reasonable shot placement. With the big bears up your way and the African thick skinned boys a 300 or 350 might be the way to go. Good hunting "D"

[This message has been edited by D Hunter (edited 04-17-2002).]

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
We are working on this .375 H&H, reammed out to a 375 Weatherby. So far we have had very good luck with the Barnes X bullets and the Swift A Frames in the 270 gr weights. The Barnes shot just a shade under one inch and the Swift's shot a shade over an inch at 110 yards from the bench. They both gave clover leaf patterns on the target.

I don't have the load specs yet, my brother in law has them written down at his house. We are going to shoot the gun again in the afternoon Thursday, when the temperatures get up close to 90 degrees. I will post the finding if you like on the board.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raven045:
ABSOLUTELY no luck with the X bullets...3 or 4 inches was about it. Don't know why...

Do you want to sell what you have left? What weight(s) were you using? I'm interested in trying some 235-grain XLCs, if you have any. I have an FFL and can get them at cost, but I hate buying a whole box just to find out they don't work. If you've got some left that you want to dump, let me know.

Damn... you're in Anchorage??? Shipping would be a b**ch, I reckon.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

[This message has been edited by Russell E. Taylor (edited 04-19-2002).]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote