New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big bore crimping questions
 Login/Join

<GAHUNTER>
posted
I've been crimping my 404 Jeffery loads with the the bullet seater. Recently, I've read that this process can set the shoulder back and cause headspace problems. Since this rifle is very sensitive to headspace problems, I'm wondering what alternative I have.

Lee does not make its Factory Crimp in 404. Would one bult for another caliber work?

Just wondering.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GA,
It only needs a very light crimp and the bullet seater will do that just fine. That is all I have ever used...just don't "over crimp" and you won't set the shoulder back..Also ease the bullet in the case and ease the crimp on the case, don't slam it in....

In fact, in the real world,even if you did set the shoulder back by improper use of the tools, then it would merely fireform the case..

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray has good advice here just set the crimp on your seating die lightly and they will do the job. This is the method I use for my bigger guns.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey GAHUNTER, It has been awhile since I've messed with crimping on "Rifle" cartridges. But it looks like I agree with all the above.

A couple of things I haven't seen mentioned is to "ALWAYS" trim your cases to the same length after each firing. Unless you do so, the amount of Crimp will change as the case length changes.

And separate the "Crimping Step" so it is not done at the same time as the Seating. Seat the bullets to the depth you desire. Either unscrew the Seating Stem a bunch or totally remove it from the Seating Die. Then do the "Crimping" as a separate step.

These steps take a little longer, but help eliminate the buckling.

By the way, are you are using bullets with a Cannelure to crimp into?

Best of luck to you.

[ 02-02-2003, 03:56: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Call the folks at Lee if you want them to make you a "factory crimp" die. They made one for me in .350 Remington Magnum. All they wanted was a loaded cartridge (sans powder and primer, of course) and an expended case. I can't remember the charge, but it was quite reasonable. The .404 may have a o.a.l. greater than what they will make you, but nothing is lost in the inquiry. Heck, you might get the president of the company on the phone, like I did.

That said, I've never had a "big bore" from .375 to .458 "jump" the crimp or even be seated back in the case, from recoil... that is, if I very lightly crimped the bullet with the bullet seating die.

[ 02-02-2003, 07:02: Message edited by: judgeg ]

Posts: 7596 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee will charge $25.00 for a good crimp die.
Just send them a dummy loaded case & bullet.
They are sweet! The only restriction is a case diameter of .580" or less.
Ray, if the shoulder is set back in a non-controlled feed receiver, it will not work.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote