New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks delloro and Grumulkin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a quick note to say thanks to delloro and Grumulkin, and anyone else that came forward with some advice for reloading my 458 win mag back in January.
I reloaded some realy good looking rounds on the weekend, all issues with case bulging etc were gone. Chronographed several at the range and averaged 2153 fps with 500 grain Woodleigh PP (mean difference of 9 fps) with 74 grains ADI 2206H (24 inch barrel), mild compression, warm day, did not even come close to pressure issues. Very happy Smiler
Thanks guys
Stu

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You're very welcome.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anytime!!!! what did you end up doing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delloro, I digested all the info and put it into practice. The case expander for the mouth was the key I feel. It did not require much, just a small amount to assist the entry of the projectile into the case. Could not believe my luck at getting the benchmark 2150 fps on the first go. That is the softs taken care of, now I need to take a look at the solids.
The only disapointment was the poor cut at the mouth of the Winchester brass. When the bullet was seated to the canular the tapered rather than a neat square finish / cut was very apparent. The cases were too short to start trimming down as they were already under the 2.5". Still they were a third of the cost of Norma brass and available off the shelf.
Cheers
Stu