Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Bullets
 Login/Join

posted
Hi I have been reloading for a few years now (30-30). I recently purchased a 30-06 rifle and I want to reload those also. I have the power and casings but no bullets heads. I dont know what bullets will work for the 30-06.

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what you intended to use the rifle for, so it's hard to say.

I would highly recommend the Barnes TSX, or the CT Ballistic Silvertips if you're going to use it for whitetails. You'll get good accuracy and great terminal results. Those are just my pet bullets though. Really though, anything will shoot decently as long as it is a .30 caliber, and is the right weight for the twist rate of your bbl. Go to manufacturers websites, and read up on their products.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started myself.

I like the 125 gr sierra spitzer boat tails myself,behind 45 grains of IMR-3031.

Nice easy to shoot and great target round,but does go a tad high at range 200 yds and above. beer

Welcome to the board

Posts: 27 | Location: Tulsa Ok. | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greetings & Salutations
You are fortunate to have started your reloading hobbie with the thirty calibre family. You will find that there are .308" diameter bullet available in a multitude of weights for about every purpose which one would use a rifle.
Here are a few suggestions to help you get started.
1 You found this site, YaHoo!
2 Buy more than one reloading book -especially one with pictures.
3 Stick to the suggested load date.
4 Develop good habbits/practices
5 Join the local range/shooting clubs

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
The 06' shoots well with most .308 diameter bullets. I prefer the 180 grainers most for
everything from deer elk and bear.

You picked a really good cartridge to reload
it sounds like you have done a bit of reloading for the .30-30 so you have the basics down.

lots of experianced people here to help ya out. beer

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3078 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For deer hunting I like the Remington 150 grain Core-lokts. I know they are a lower priced slug but the deer never knew how cheap I really am. If I were to use it for the bigger stuff I would load the 180 grain Nosler Partition. I have never used lighter bullets in my 06 but I don't think I would go any lower wt. than 130 grain if you are using an off the shelf rifle in " standard rate of twist" ie. 1 in 12".

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load the 180 gr bullet and sight it in at 200 yds. Thats all there is to it.

For powder 4350 is just fine.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Bullet: Sierra 168 Grain HPBT
Powder: 56.6 grains of IMR-4350
Primer: Winchester 8-1/2
Case: Winchester
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Optics: Leupold 4x12AO
Velocity: 2801 FPS @ 15' from muzzle
Accuracy: 5-shot, 200-yards, ~ 1"

Bullet: Nosler 180 Grain Partition
Powder: 55.0 grains of IMR-4350
Primer: Winchester 8-1/2
Case: Winchester
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Optics: Leupold 4x12AO
Velocity: 2705 FPS @ 15' from muzzle
Accuracy, 5-shots, 200-yards, ~ 1"

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other posters.
You picked a great cartridge to start with. I would like to know more about your rifle and what you will be hunting and at what range you will likly be shooting them.
You say you already have the powder, just keep in mind some rifles are powder fussy. many powders work well in the 06, most like IMR-4350. My currant 06 does not. Many do well with RL-19 Mine seems to like H-414 and RL-22. As for bullets, if you are shooting deer and good 150 or up bullet is good. Elk a 180 is best, but many hunters go for a premium 165 grain bullet for deer and Elk and that is also a good choice. ..enjoy , and keep us posted ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
150 grainers for light skinned critters such as deer or antelope and 180 grainers for heavier animals. A guy could take two 30-06'es on a plainsgame trip to africa loaded as such and not be lacking for anything.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the sugestions. I am going to use the gun for Deer but I bought it for Moose or Elk. I have a Parker Hale and a Finbear 270 that I use as all around guns along with a 308, 303 and 30-30.
I have 4064 powder and 180 gr heads. The 270 I want to load some 90 gr and 110 gr for the deer here as they are only small. They dress out at about 50 lbs of meat deboned, but we are allowed to shoot 15 a year.
I also do a lot of shooting at the range and reloading is the only way to go.