Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7 Mags and Chronographs Don't Mix
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
F, this isn't a 7mag condition, it's the uneducated shooter condition. Remember the guy said "that's no better than an 06". Most guys/gals pick up a reloading manual or box of factory ammo, read the vel. & say "the book/box says I'm getting 'x' vel." A chrono. can be very eye opening! When I'm at the range I always offer to shoot peoples ammo over the screens for them, some like the result & some think a choro. not worth a damn.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely right eldeguello. Personally in my 26 inch Ruger 1, I have not had any problems reaching the max speeds in the reloading manuals & usually with 1-2 gr less powder.

However, & I was not aware of this either(before buying my 7mm Rem) is that the 7mm Rem is supposedly subject to large pressure spikes of up to 10,000 psi with very little charge variation. No one knows the exact reason why & it does not happen to the 7mm Weatherby which is very similar in case capacity. Something inherent in the design.

Do a search on 24 hour campfire. John Barsness who goes by the netname Mule Deer is the poster. He is privey to lab data that shows this effect. That is why factory loads must throttle down because SAAMI mandates that AVERAGE pressure of so many rounds must not be more than "X". Because of the large pressure swings they have to have a larger margin for error.

Hey you 7mm Lovers don't shoot the messenger. Read it yourself.

As I don't chase the last 100fps I am not really worried & will still customise my Ruger 1 & keep it in 7mm Rem for long range shooting.

If I find the thread I will post it here.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet his regular factory stuff went the same speed.Saami pressures for 7mmRM are bit lighter than most magnums.Were they lowered?? or were they always at that level??

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote