Find
Notify
Tools

Primer for AA5744?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

I'm wanting to try some reduced loads in my .458 Win. using 5744 with 405grn. FNGC bullets. I haven't put any together yet, but I am getting mixed recommendations on the primer to use. I'm still trying to find standard LR primers, as I am currently out.

AA's ballistician recommended using mag primers, but with a starting load of only 38 grns. it seems unnecessary. Is this powder hard to light off? Any input would be appreciated!

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AA 5744 is not hard to ignite ... but to get consistent ignition in larger capacity cases and warm if not hot primer is not a bad idea.

CCI 200s work fine in cases at the .375 H&H size and smaller. I've used Winchester WLR (normal or magnum load) primers in middle and even larger (.458 AR). Have also used Fed 215s in large cases like the Rigby and .470 NE.

Probably good to test both kinds (warm and magnum) for accuracy in large cases if you're getting consistent ignition for a particular round.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, you need to use a hot magnum primer with this powder, as even in a .45-70 case, it will blow out unburned granules with standard primers. It was even getting down into the action and locking it up. I switched to Federal 215 primers, and the problem went away.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
Nope, you need to use a hot magnum primer with this powder, as even in a .45-70 case, it will blow out unburned granules with standard primers. It was even getting down into the action and locking it up. I switched to Federal 215 primers, and the problem went away.

fishingAt present the 5744 is leaving powder residue in the 44 Vetterli . Velocity, however, is consistant and accuracy is good. I will try the Mag primers and see if it elimenates the unburned powder. Thanks for the tip claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I've not used this powder before. If I can ever get my hands on some standard LR primers, I'll load a few of each and send them over the chrono. That should tell the tale! In the interim, I'll use some mag. primers.

Thanks again, George

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Depending on how much 6=5744 you are using I guess..

here you guys are not getting powder burned completely....yet I am not seeing that..

and in some of the small bore calibers I am shooting it in, because of primer availability, I have been using large pistol primers....

conserving large rifle and mag rifle primers for the more important stuff... instead of light loads for range practice or casual walking in the woods rifle...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote