Find
Notify
Tools

Vihtavuori Powders
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted
Anyone have experience with Vihtavuori powders, specifically N140, N160, and N165. I have a supply of it that I've had for several years now, but haven't worked up any loads with it because of the disappointing performance of it as published in the Vihtavouri Reloading Manuals(1st and 4th Editions).

Posts: 179 | Location: Maine | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've used all the ones you mention, plus a few more, including the N500 series of double based powders and some pistol powders. I like them but except in just a couple of instances with N160 and N550, I've usually found powders the rifles liked a tad better. The exception is N140 where they fit well into 308 size cases and give great accuracy and velocity. Those powders are always there at the end in finding powders and loads. Most burn very clean, particularly 3N37 in 9mm handguns. M133 is an old standby in BR circles.

The VihtaVuori manual is ultra conservative and you can't go by it. Probably has something to do with the barrels and testing methods they use. I get superb velocity and accuracy with N160 behind 225g bullets in a 338 Win Mag and it equals the velocity from RL22 for that same bullet and is more accurate at velicity considerably exceeding what's in their manual.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
HuntR The Vihtavuori Reloading Manual 1st is a good Reloading Manual you just need to work up to Max slowly. The change in the reloading manual from #1 to #4 was liability. The #1 put right to the max load. Vihtavuori makes some of the best powder in the world

<Mitch>
posted
I have used Vihtavouri VN.560 and 160 in my 460 wby. 416 wby. 378 wby. and 577 Tyrannosaur. To put it quite simply VN. 560 is the most accurate powder I have used in these rifles bar none. It also has given the highest velocitys in my 577 T.Rex. in addition to giving sub MOA accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot. N160 is excellent in 6.5x55 and many other such rounds, N140 is incredibly versatile. The viht book is conservative re velocities but not so with charge weights, I wouldn't want to exceed these without a lot of care.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Looks like I'll have to blow the dust of the cans and start working up some loads with it.

Posts: 179 | Location: Maine | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Dutchgus>
posted
I agree with 1894 and Bob 338: there powders are OK and (where I live) much less expensive than the American brands so I use them for most of my reloading.
However, I don't like their reloading data. As mentioned before, I too discovered that the published velocity is far too conservative. The other side of the medal is that their max loads may well be over max in normal rifles. FWIW: 77 grains of N160 is definitely too much in my .338 using 225 grains bullets. I wonder if more of you had the same experience?

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I use 75g of N160 behind a 225 Nosler Partition for 2920 fps. One bit more would be way too much in my rifle. This load is the only one I've used in a 338 Win Mag that beats RL22 for both accuracy and velocity in twelve rifles, so far.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I would like to know for a 416 REMINGTON which Vihatavuori powder would be the best one to use. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You don't mention what bullets you want to use. You'd probably use N140 or N540 for the light bullets, on up to N160 or N560 for the heavy ones. N150 or N550 might also be appropriate but a tad slow for the light ones and a tad fast for the heavy ones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI.

BOD338, I was thing of a 350 grain in the 416, which powder for that weight or heavier. Thanks,kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote