New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred powders for .308 win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see a lot of talk about Varget, IMR 4895, IMR 4064, RE 15 and some of the Viht. powders. I fresh pounds of Varget and H4895. Has anyone used H4895 with any success with 165 gr. bullets. It appears to fall in the burn range of the above powders. Your input is appreciated.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Hi Russ
I have used Reloader 15,IMR 4064,And IMR3031 with very good luck in my Rem.40XBBR .308
On a good day I can get 1/2MOA with most of the loads. Using CCI Benchrest Primers, and RWS brass.
Good luck.
Bob G.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Brumbelow:
I see a lot of talk about Varget, IMR 4895, IMR 4064, RE 15 and some of the Viht. powders. I fresh pounds of Varget and H4895. Has anyone used H4895 with any success with 165 gr. bullets. It appears to fall in the burn range of the above powders. Your input is appreciated.

I've shot up a bunch of H4895 in .308/7.62 during many years of high power match shooting. In M1A/M14s with LC cases work up your load in 1/2 gr increments from 40 to 42.5 gr with 165 gr bullets. You are looking for 2550 to 2575 average velocity. In a bolt gun with W-W cases work up to 44 gr. Of course stop working up in either type rifle if pressure signs develop or veloctiy when is around 2600-2650 fps (24 or 26" barrels). Each "lot" of powder is slightly different so I buy in minimum of 8 lb keg and work up for that "lot".

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've used H4895 in the 308 and 30.06 with 165 and 168 grain bullets and it worked fine. I can't remember any of the charge weights that I used but I know I burned 8 Lbs of it about 10-15 years ago.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Varget, BLC2, and H4350 for me

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I've been using IMR 4064 too long to change now, but other similiar rate powders will do as well or better.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi!
IMR4064. Best powder I've ever tried for .308 Win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure some of you guys have read my post on the medium bores section about me having a custom rifle built in .308. Well its almost ready and I am getting my stuff together. Its been a couple of years since I,ve loaded for a .308 and I dont have any load notes from when I did (was my uncles rifle). I have just bought a pound of this and that to work up loads and H4895 and Varget seemed like the logical choices to me especially with 165 gr. bullets. Any way I am about to pack up and head to the range with my 22 250 and test some loads with it. See yall later.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just breaking in a new .308 and dam if it doesn't like IMR 4064 to . I've used 4895 both H & IMR as well as some BLC-2 powder but 4064 is running top shelf . As it's in it's break in period I'm middle of the road with 150 grain bullets as well as powder charges .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To get enough powder to fit, and go all the way to the primer falling out, leaving a huge primer pocket, start with H335.

It has the speed-density product to go all the way.

Not very much IMR4895 will fit.

I use both IMR4895 and H335.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL-15 is the best powder i have used in .308

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VV 135 or VV 540. IMR 4064 all xlnt

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
H4895 is a good powder for what you are looking for. I've had better luck with IMR 4064 and Win 748.

Posts: 7 | Location: ohio | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote