New
Find
Notify
Tools

.40-65 Win Die Problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been trying to load up some .40-65 ammo using Lee dies and reforming from .45-70 brass. Reforming went OK, but now I'm trying to expand the case mouths prior to priming, charging, and bullet seating. The problem I have seems to be with the expander plug, as it crushes the case mouth every time.

Case mouths are sized to .395: I.D. and the expander plug is a constant .404 O.D. The bullets measure .410" so need to expand the mouths considerably.

Should the expander plug have some taper to it? I think it must need the taper or I'll forever be crushing cases trying to bell the case mouths.

Lee doesn't have an e-mail contact address, so guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personaly, I'd be taking a file to the expander plug. Spin it up in a drill press and cut a 1/8" long taper on the end (get the end down to .385-.390 or so).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee expanders are the worst in the business for BPCR type cartridges. They are too short and do not have a decent radius on the end.
You can get a good replacement from Track of the Wolf that will fit your Lee expander die.
The are made in .408 and .410 and are $3 each.
If you need a .409, polish a .410 to size .
Don't forget to put a nice nose radius on them.Track of the Wolf

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, ordered up the new expander plug from Track of the Wolf and that seems to have solved the problem. It expands the casemouth nicely, and the bullet sits in the mouth just up to the end of the gas check.

Thanks for the tip about the new expander plug--I thought that was what was needed, but didn't know the source.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,
Glad it worked out for you. I have a set of Lee 38-55 dies that I replace the expander on. While I was at it I also bought the 40 and 45 expanders.

Do you mind if I ask what gas checked bullet you are using? I have a 40-65 and I am always interested in a source of good bullets.

EDG

one of us
posted Hide Post
EDG--

Here is the website for the bullets my buddy provided.

http://www.castperformance.com/Detail.bok?no=8

He is a custom stockmaker and no longer has time to do his own reloading. I'm filling in for him in hopes of trading labor for a custom stock for one of my rifles. But, if we can't work out a swap, I'll never have one as I won't spend that kind of money for a hunting rifle--and that's the only kind of rifles I own.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I have used the Cast Performance in the 265 long nose version. A friend of mine has a mold he bought for a .40-70 Sharps Straight but it may have been designed for a 405 since it was a round nose. It is a 320 grain gas check by NEI and is amazingly accurate with 22 grn of 4759. It casts right at .410 diamet and that is the sizer die that I use to lube them.