New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4350
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i was talking to the self proclaimed expert at the local gunshop today and i told him that i use imr 4350 and a 129 grn hornady bullet in my cz 550 6.5x55. he told me that 4350 was no good with a bullet that light and that it was possible on a cold day and with a weak primer that the gun could blow up. he also said that my gun has a long throat for a 160 grn bullet(i figured that) and that if my 129 grn bullet had to jump a gap before hitting the rifling then i was going to ruin the barrel because the bullet was slamming into the riflings too hard. i'm no expert at any of this so, even though i suspect that he's a bored old man who likes to BS people, i want to see what you guys on this forum have to say about it. any advice/opinions are appreciated.....bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Find a new gunshop.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Have shot a 243 with 70 grain bullets using AA4350 and 4831 and have done it cold weather as well as hot and haven't had a problem.Also light bullets in a 257 roberts improved. It works well because it fills the case and it's a slower burning powder and develops less pressure for the velocity it generates. The best thing to do with someone like that is just say thanks for the information and leave it at that. Good luck

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Budiceale,

Does he post here? [Big Grin] I never cease to be amazed at some of the expert advice that hangers around at gunshops give out..... [Roll Eyes]

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<bigbelly>
posted
I used 4350 and rl-19 exclusively in both of my 6.5x55`s,cold or hot never had a problem,even with the old 85 gr winchester match bullets 4350 shot well,no speedsters but accurate and ain`t that what were in this for.what did he want to sell you?jmho

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks to everybody for the replies. sounds like he is about what i thought he was....an old guy who likes to BS us young(?????) guys. he wasn't trying to sell me anything because i was just there picking up some brass for someone else. i don't think he even knows what a computer is so he probably doesn't post here or anywhere else. as for finding another gun shop..no can do. this place sells everything for cost plus 10% and is consistantly the cheapest place in town. maybe i'll just bullshit back at him for fun. again, thanks...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot pounds and pounds of the even slower AA-3100 in 6.5 x 55s and a 6.5 Roberts with even lighter bullets. Never a problem.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Either avoid the guy or poison him.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just fired my CZ550 in 6.5x55 last weekend for the first time using Remington factory ammo w/140 grain CoreLoc's with great results.

I have two other rifles chambered in 6.5x55 and reload for both. A cercia 1903 M96 Swede and a Remington "Classic" M700. I use IMR-4350 and VV-N160 with bullet weights ranging from 100 grain to 160 grain in Hornaday and Nosler with very good results. I have read that the 6.5x55 kills better than it should and from the wild game animals I have harvested I agree.

Posts: 53 | Location: Grand Junction, CO USA | Registered: 13 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
IMR-4350 From 35.0 grains to 46.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Is a good choice for your caliber and bullet weight.

I prefer, however,
H-4350 From 40.0 grains to 47.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks again everybody.
russel e taylor....as usual, i like your suggested cure to this problem. no bs and very effective.....bud

<Oleman>
posted
As mentioned above your self proclaimed expert is a BS artist. With the issues of liability these days if that was true You wouldn't see a load for that or any ligther bullets on the IMR site. By going here you will see it isn't true. You need to ignore this person.

http://www.imrpowder.com/rifle.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
That "expert" is an idiot.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The inference is that a faster burning powder would be better. If you look at a internal program or a handloading manual you find that 4831 is also suggested and both powders are the right ones for that bullet and cartridge.

The Nosler manual shows imr 4350 to be the most accurate powder tested! Show that to the expert.

In fact invite the expert to post here in this forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bud,

You were talking to an idiot. All factory and most reloads jump.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find a new shop. If he was so smart want did he want you to use? His ammo for you to buy I bet.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] LMFAO!!! [Big Grin]

Sounds like old age and treachery at its best.. I wouldnt hold it against him, if he is not just bored then maybe he actually thinks its true.. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by budiceale:
i was talking to the self proclaimed expert at the local gunshop today and i told him that i use imr 4350 and a 129 grn hornady bullet in my cz 550 6.5x55. ...bud

This sounds like the "light loads of slow powder will blow up your gun" warnings that are so popular. Speer used to recommend mag primers for cold weather as help.

I have heard of a couple of explainations for this:

First, is the bullet stuck in the barrel, particularly when the cylinder barrel gap in a revolver gets over .010 inches.

Second, is when the powder doesn't ignite well and all the deterent on the powder smolders and the powder heats until it starts to ignite at which time the pressure increase causes detonation (simultaneous ignition) in the rest of the powder. Ball powder is often mentioned as it has more of a deterrent coating on it.

But 129 grains isn't a light bullet in a .26 caliber and I assume you are using at least 40 grains of imr 4350.

Did you ask about loading light with 4350? Anyway, it sounds like he was repeating some old warnings.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote