New
Find
Notify
Tools

.380 Auto Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All my reference books list .380 Auto bullets as .355 diameter. Somewhere in the distant past I acquired 2 bags (100 each) of Winchester bullets. The label reads 380 cal 95 gr. FMJ component bullet (B380MC95). They are FMJ, flat tip, with lead exposed at the bottom of the base. THEY MEASURE .358! Does anyone know if they are safe to use? I have 2 modern .380 handguns and an old Colt Pocket Model. Please advise. Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They may work but I would not trust them in my 380ACP. If they were sized .356" I might work up a mild load and see how they performed. Elmer Keith shot some .458" diameter bullets in a second generation Colt M1873 chambered in 45LC and the first three rounds shot ok, but the fourth round blew the cylinder apart. That is just .004" oversized for the groove diameter of his gun as the 45LC 1873 didn't adopt the .452" groove diameter until after WWII. JMHO

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to insult you, but was your caliper or micrometer zeroed before you measured?

I ask because from time to time my caliper wanders.

If that is their actual measurement, I sure wouldn't shoot them!

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B L O'Connor, Thanks, you got it right. No insult taken; I've done dumber things. Rather ask a dumb question than blow up a good gun and it's owner. :-)

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a hint on checking calipers I learned in the machine shop.

Clamp the jaws on your shirt and slip them off. That cleans them to the metal.
It don't take much grit, or a piece hair etc to make a bad reading.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good tip. Thanks.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote