New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Hand Prime Versus the Hornady Hand Prime
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had purchase myself the Universal RCBS Hand Priming Tool some time ago. Works nice, but you would get a few primers out of a batch of 100 that would not align properly with the primer pocket and it would then gives you a click sound. Although it did not happen yet, I belief this could result in the anvil of the primer falling out.

After this episode I though to go to the RCBS Hand Prime which works with the shell holder. Alignment is proper here and no problems as above. However, one problem with this device is that should you turn the units head to the ground the seating stem would fell out. What is designers fault for such a nice tool. Easy to loose parts if you are not causious.

After the problem with the RCBS Hand Prime using the shell holders I bought the Hornady Hand Prime. The unit comes with 2 primer trays, one for Hornady shell holders and the other for RCBS shell holders. Perfect alignment of the primer seating, no seating stem falling out and I must say the unit requires much less sqeeze compared to the RCBS Units.

What is your evaluation on the above units?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Get the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool! It does everything from 223 to 450/400 3 inch. No shell holder needed!
And the primer tray is square to match the primer boxes!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee hand primer, it works well. No problems at all and I've loaded many thousands of rifle cartridges with mine. I wore one out and had to buy a new one but they're cheap enough that it's not a problem. Currently I have two, one set up for large primers and one for small primers.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of elkslayer4x5
posted Hide Post
I prefer the press mounted Ram priming unit from RCBS, Lee also produces a similar unit, but have'nt used theirs. I like the controled seating depth, Every primer will be set the same, no guessing by feel. Not to say that there is anything wrong with that method, just not for me. I batch load on a single stage, and this is just another step.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConne...index&productId=2867

skin that one out, and I'll get ya another

Posts: 44 | Location: Lane county, Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a RCBS with the universal jaw setup, it works OK for what use it has had. I had a Hornady unit, bought it as it used shell holders and thought it would be more versatile, ie; 450-400ne will not fit on the RCBS. It stuck a lot,the tray was a major pain to R&R, primers were constantly cocking. I tried honing the barrel on it to get it to work properly, gave up after a few days and chucked it. My temper eventually got the best of me on that one. I would have to recommend that people assemble and check function on them before leaving the store.
I used the round tray Lee for 20 yrs+. Had trays and pcs left over from wearing some out.
So, I picked up a 21st Century body. It is adjustable on the seating depth, uses the Lee tray and plunger and shellholders---and blows the doors off the old Lee and the RCBS as far as I am concerned.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a press mounted RCBS priming unit for decades but then sold it to go to the RCBS hand helds. After owning the hand held for about 3 years am giving serious consideration to going back to the bench unit.
Hand held - can prime while watching football games, big plus. But primers are often cocking in wierd positions and you have to play with getting everything centered sometimes. Either primer pockets are getting tighter or my arms are getting weaker because some times it is a bitch to seat some combo's of primers in certain brass.

Bench unit - does everything well but keeps you at the bench.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Biggest initial pain with the RCBS Universal so far(only arrived Friday) has been the primer tray lid.
Several reviews mentioned how it snapped into place rather too smartly & thus flipped some primers in the tray.
It is indeed too stiff.
I gently chamfered the edges of the central hole in the tray & did the same for the locating nub in the lid but still had issues with the odd flipped primer.
I cured this by initially seating the lid 45 degrees off from its seating position then rotating into alignment & pushing it down the last little bit - no more flipped primers.
I know tools such as this shouldn't need tweaking but I'm happy with the result.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote