New
Find
Notify
Tools

7wsm
 Login/Join

<toto>
posted
I have two 7x57 rifles. 0ne is a 08/34 with a 19" barrel. I get 2826fps from the 19" with a 162gr hornady. The other is a 1909 carbine rebarreled (military) to 7x57. I'm thinking of having the 09 rechambered to the 7wsm. The 09 has a 22" barrel. I built this four years ago. The barrel was a new in the white. It has never been fired. Question, can I rechamber the military barrel from 7x57 to 7wsm, also would I gain enough velocity to justify doing. Any one who has any knowledge of either I would appreciate their response. Thanks fws

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Toto,
The short an answer is, probably not(not taking any question of action suitability into account). You'll need to setback and rechamber, and your barrel might not have enough "meat" to do this.

You COULD rechamber to 7x57 ackley, and get "close enough" to the 7 wsm.

for what it's worth
jeffe

Posts: 38640 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless something is wrong with the current barrel or chambering your better off using it as is or selling it. Otherwise all the work of installing the barrel will be wasted. It's in a good cartridge now. Once you start converting that Mauser to the very large WSM case all bets are off money wise.

You can buy a brand new WSM for as little as $375 at Walmart and a M70 Featherweight in 7MM WSM for about $600. It will be warranteed to feed and fuction well on someone elses time and worry.

Thats a very high pressure cartridge. I don't think I would want one on an old Mauser.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<toto>
posted
I'd like to start out by appoligizing for not responding sooner. I had several things goingat the time. I appreciate your info and have taken your advise. Will not sacrifice my mauser's, will go for another rifle. Thanks again. fws