New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 cal heavy weight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the heaviest 30 cal bullet available? I seem to remember years ago, a small speciality house (whose name I can't remember) was producing 300 grain 30 cal bullets.

Thanks,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

i picked up some Barnes 250 grain originals a few years ago, because a got a box of 50 for about $5.00s.

It is one long assed bullet, and the RN design.
I would not hesitate to use it on something big, if I ever go grizzly hunting with a 300 Mag.

Besides that I don't have a lot of use for it in my world, but I am not hunting something that weighs as much as a VW either,and can eat me.

I do use the 220 grain RNs a lot in my 30/06. I prefer it immensely over the regular 180 SPs, but I consider it a 250 yd load.
Those heavy bullets take a lot to stop, but sure can stop a lot of things they hit.

I like em, I love em, I want more of 'em! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra makes a 240 gr HPBT MatchKing but they note it requires a 1-9" twist.

You might consider checking what twist you will be dealing with and make a bullet selection based on that. If the twist is to slow you won't stabilize the bullet and thus it will not be accurate.

My 2 cents for the day,

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like heavy for caliber bullets..I use the 450 gr. 416, the 350 gr. 375, both by Woodleigh...I have used the 320 gr. 9.3x62 bullet by Woodliegh a lot in Africa and I love the 220 Noslers in my 300 H&H...the 8x57 is a winner on big stuff with the 250 gr. Woodleighs.

Until you have used the Woodleigh 300 gr. 338 bullet you have not seen elk die! [Eek!]

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The 250 grn Barnes originals are the largest .30 cals Ive heard of and they are soon to become extinct. Id like to try some 220 rns on Moose If I could get them to shoot, tried the 200 grn Speers and they shot patterns instead of groups from my Savage 110. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhunter,
A call to Huntingtons will get you 220 gr. Woodleighs or Noslers, both exceptional bullets up to 300 yards or better...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Would you care to tell your powder and charge weight used for the 8 x 57 with the 250 grain Woodleigh bullet?

Much appreciated,

Marv

Posts: 52 | Location: Ferndale, Washington US | Registered: 09 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just saw these bullets mentioned in an old hunting magazine the other day. I don't remember the name of the firm (if you're interested, I'll find out), but it said the base of the bullet had a tungsten core (w/ normal lead front). The bullets mentioned were 300 grain .308 & 155 grain .243. The idea was to have a heavy for caliber bullet with the same length as a ligheter lead bullet (i.e. 300 gr .308 was same length as 220 gr & 155 .243 was same length as 105 .243). Interesting concept!

Regards,

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Don't know what the heaviest 30 caliber bullet is, since someone somewhere will have probably made a die for casting 500 grain bullets...however, the heaviest PRACTICAL jacketed bullet I have seen is 250 grains.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra produced a 250 grain Match King for a while then discontinued it in favor of the 240 (I'd heard the 250's were more prone to blow-ups). I believe earlier Sierra Manuals contained load data for the 250.

I have a single representative sample of a 280gr PRL Subsonic (Tungsten composite core) and a 253 gr Match.

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lou270:
I just saw these bullets mentioned in an old hunting magazine the other day. I don't remember the name of the firm (if you're interested, I'll find out), but it said the base of the bullet had a tungsten core (w/ normal lead front). The bullets mentioned were 300 grain .308 & 155 grain .243. The idea was to have a heavy for caliber bullet with the same length as a ligheter lead bullet (i.e. 300 gr .308 was same length as 220 gr & 155 .243 was same length as 105 .243).

Lou,

Those are the ones I remember. Just can't recall the name of the company. If you can find it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

The name of the company is Elk Mountain Bullets. I got the info from a magazine published in 1978, so not sure if they still make them or if it is even still around.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote