• Case = reformed from .257 roberts, RP
  • Primer #34

• #1 Bullet 150gr. RN. ABC., OAL=2.400"
  • 16" barrel, Avg. Velocity = 2015fps.
  • 22" barrel, Avg. Velocity = 2150fps.

• #2 Bullet 150gr. BT., Balistic tip,
  • 16" barrel, Avg. Velocity = 2078fps.
  • 22" barrel, Avg. Velocity = 2205fps.

• DELTA #1 bullet, 2150 - 2015 = 135 fps.

• DELTA #2 bullet, 2205 - 2078 = 127 fps.

Comment: These were somewhat mild loadings and a minute amount of unburned powder was evident. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of RaySendero
    posted Hide Post
    I've read where the general "rule of thumb" is 25fps per inch of barrel length.

The results your getting is some what more than that.

________
    Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    If you look over the FPS/Inch column on this page of load data it shows that there is no hard and fast rule. Case capacity, bore diameter and powder burn rate all influence how much is lost or gained per inch of barrel length.

One of Us
    Picture of 303Guy
    posted Hide Post
    It would be real interesting to see how different load intensities and different powders behave in those same two barrels. (Hint, hint!) Big Grin

I don't suppose you just happen to have a decibel meter lying arround?

Great link, Gerard. It confirms my notion the effect of case capacity to bore diam has.

bartsche, according to your results, barrel make is not skewing the results. I assume those would both be made with the same reamer? Are 'fast' and 'slow' barrels a function of chamber dimensions perhaps? We know that different bullets don't have too much effect which would indicate that the bore itself is predictable.

Regards
    303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of fredj338
    posted Hide Post
    The problem though is you do not have apples & apples. Two diff. barrels & chambers are not likely to give representable velocities. The only way to know for sure is take one barrel & test it, then cut 1" at a time off & test it each time. I've seen same length barrels give 150fps diff. w/ identical loads. I've seen 22" barrels have higher vel. than 24" barrels w/ identical loads. Just too many variables.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by fredj338:
    The problem though is you do not have apples & apples. Two diff. barrels & chambers are not likely to give representable velocities. The only way to know for sure is take one barrel & test it, then cut 1" at a time off & test it each time. I've seen same length barrels give 150fps diff. w/ identical loads. I've seen 22" barrels have higher vel. than 24" barrels w/ identical loads. Just too many variables.

popcornI hear what you're saying ,Fred, and agree with your approach. The fact is I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm giving you raw data based On what I got. If you find it ify, OK. If you find it informative that's nice too. Personally I think it is quite indicative of FPS. increase/IN.

And yes both barrels were chambered with the same reamer. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Ol` Joe
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

I recall someone, I think Rick Jamison did just that a few years back although I remember what cartridge he used. He took a full lgt barrel and cut an inch at a time recording the velocity useing a handload he made up for the purpose. It seems he found the lenght vs velocity difference varied, and at one lenght actually recorded a faster velocity then the 1 inch longer barrel showed. Likely the extreem spread of the load had something to do with it.

------------------------------------
    The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
    Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of fredj338
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
    quote:

I recall someone, I think Rick Jamison did just that a few years back although I remember what cartridge he used. He took a full lgt barrel and cut an inch at a time recording the velocity useing a handload he made up for the purpose. It seems he found the lenght vs velocity difference varied, and at one lenght actually recorded a faster velocity then the 1 inch longer barrel showed. Likely the extreem spread of the load had something to do with it.

I think I read that one, maybe a 6.5 something military & cheap. Wink It was interesting that some length showed significant loss, some none & some even a slight gain.
    Hey bartsche, I wasn't condeming the experiment, it's just many guys think it's just about bbl length & we know there are many other variables affecting vel. Even chambering w/ the same reamer will have a slightly diff. chamber size as you've slightly worn the reamer from another chambering job.
    One reason I let guys shoot over my chronograph. They are all sure their fav. load is at least 100fps faster than it really is. The chronograph doesn't lie.

One of Us
    Picture of 303Guy
    posted Hide Post
    Well, FWIW, I think it quite a revealing result because two different barrels of different manufacture but cut with the same reamer show predictable barrel length differences. (That 25 fps per inch applies to 308/303 Brit proportioned cartridges pretty much what bartsche measured).

Regards
    303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Here ya go! Apples to Apples.
    http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by steve4102:

Holy Crap! It's a good thing the FEDS didn't see this posting of an illegally short 10" barrel. Didn't Randy Weaver get in big trouble for some miniscule amount under the legal minimum of 16"?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
    ...I think Rick Jamison did just that a few years back ... He took a full lgt barrel and cut an inch at a time recording the velocity useing a handload he made up for the purpose. It seems he found the lenght vs velocity difference varied, and at one lenght actually recorded a faster velocity then the 1 inch longer barrel showed. Likely the extreem spread of the load had something to do with it.
    Hey Ol` Joe, I did not read the article, so my comments are based only on my impression of jamison. I used to think he was quite a Reloader back in the `60s-`70s. Then I noticed he pulled the old "Bogey the Load Data" so the 300WinMag ALWAYS outshines ANYTHING it is compared to, after I had worked with a few 300WinMags.

So, this is pure speculation, but I'll guess he only fired 1-2 shots after each reduction in barrel length. And reported what he saw, which was a normal Load Variation due to some off-the-wall Powder/Cartridge combination he selected.

No way was it a 300WinMag, or it would have stair-stepped perfectly - to hear him tell it.

I HATE IT Mad when some fool gets me to believe him. Sure makes a person cautious.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of fredj338
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Very interesting. The only issue I have w/ the accuracy data is each cut & recrown would have to be identically done in order to have a neutral affect on the accuracy. The vel. data is good stuff though, thanks.

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

thumbSuper experiment. thumbroger

one of us
    Picture of Kenati
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by onefunzr2:
    Holy Crap! It's a good thing the FEDS didn't see this posting of an illegally short 10" barrel. Didn't Randy Weaver get in big trouble for some miniscule amount under the legal minimum of 16"?

I really don't think the United Arab Emirates cares about barrel length.

Saeed: What, if any, are some of the more interesting gun restrictions or laws in your country? (ie. barrel length, full-auto, concealed carry, etc.)

-Kenati

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    With quickload you can vary the length of barrel and see the effect.

Barrel length is more important to 7mmMag than to 45acp.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote