Notify
Tools

Reloading questions for the 470 NE
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
Have a few questions regarding reloading for the 470 NE:

Have an old Herter’s press which has close to 3.8†opening. I can have a shell holder machined but wondered if the 3.8†is sufficient to slip a case and bullet into the sizing die. Would hate to have a shell holder machined and find the press will not quite do the job. Any suggestions?

Another question in regard to case trimming: What type trimmers are available? Thought I would make a pilot for my Lee trimmer, but OD of cutter is just under .500†which may not be quite large enough for the 470. What presses/trimmers/dies are you all using?

I’m sure other questions will arise, but these are the first hurdles we need to clear.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have an extra set of 470 NE dies laying around gathering dust that you want to sell? Smiler

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brent andrade
posted Hide Post
i dont have an extra set , but i found the lyman works , but needed a different holder , the forrester works with the right collet , the herters press will work , just hard to seat bullets like you might be used to , as you have to place bullet into case mouth and then tilt into die as you set into shell holder ! i used a rcbs junior for years for 375 and 45 120 3.25 shells! no harm nor foul , all was straight and nice , just tight fit . if your trimmer will hold em then it will work as the brass has a neck thickness of about .015 thickness per side and as long as you use a pilot it is all good . a good press for these long ones is the rock chucker , or the francford arsenal from midway as i have both abd they work , but the frankfort is a very tight fitted ram and i find i need to keep the ram lubed and clean of residue from primers ! if ya need more help , please feel free to ask , if i dont know ill find out for you , or someone here will try to help , thats what this is about ! good shooting !brent

Posts: 40 | Location: pennsylvania , usa. | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brent andrade
posted Hide Post
my dies are rcbs , but you can get them cheap as you can from huntintons in the shotgun news or the gun list as from rcbs are pricy , or if lee lists them id go with the lees thru midway as they sell them cheaper than lee does directly , bullets are a bit costly too , but thats tha price we payr for the really big toys isnt it ? brent .

Posts: 40 | Location: pennsylvania , usa. | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Hi Brent. Thanks for the advice!

I thought the Herters would work, as I currently load 375 h&h on it and have to tip the bullet as you described. Since I currently do not have the dies, a shell holder or a bullet, couldn't give that a try w/470.

I have a Herter's 32-20 shell holder that I no longer use which would be fairly simple to open up to 470 and think I could gain about 3/16" useable opening on the press in so doing. Will check on cost of machine work versus the cost of the RCBS press. Might make sense to retire the old Herter's press..........it doesn't owe me much as I have used it since 1956 Smiler.

Thanks again.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote