New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which brand of brass??????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking to have a barrel made for my Encore in a 6.5-284 and wondered which brass to buy. Hornady or Norma????

Posts: 123 | Location: grand rapids | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Whichever you can get the most of with the same lot number.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-.284 can be cut for different brands of cases. The Norma and the Winchester differ by about 0.004" on average at the base. Find out from the 'smith that chambered the rifle just what brand of reamer he used and for which case the reamer is meant. The Norma runs just a little larger and occasionally a rifle cut for Winchester cases will have trouble with Norma brass. If Norma brass will fit and function, then I much prefer the Norma. I have both and rarely use the Winchester. Winchester will work just fine in a Norma chamber, as 0.004" small just isn't enuff to give any trouble. When I ordered my reamer, I ordered it for Norma brass. I really do not know where the Hornady brand cases are in the scheme of things. It is also possible the Lapua is now making the stuff. Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote