Find
Notify
Tools

Mild loads for 338WM??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Doees anyone load or know where I can find some safe loads for the 338WM, using 200gr bullets at about 2500 fps?

I've been looking for SR 4759 loads, but can't find any published data, so I don't know if that much velocity can be had with that powder, safely.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While they do not show SR 4759, the latest Speer Manual (#14), shows some loads for the .338 Win Mag in the range you are looking for.

Speer data for their 200 grain spitzer SP:

All of these are starting loads.

IMR 4064 57 grains 2440 fps
IMR 3031 55 grains 2469 fps
AA 2700 65 grains 2550 fps

Hope this helps.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made good experiences loading 200 grain SP bullets with Blue Dot, N110 and the SR4759 you mention. Kills those deer, roe and wild boar quite dead with little recoil.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
IMR Powders page in my "all-in-one" .338 Winchester Magnum loads booklet shows SR 4759 with 200 grain Power Point from 35.6 grains (no speed given) to 39.5 grains (MAX) at 2335 fps. [CUP shows 54000 so I'd not exceed 39.5 grains!]

Posts: 4880 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I'm going to order one of the loaddata single cartridge books from midway, for about $7. I'm relatively sure it will have some tested data printed there.

KB

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's the one. Only I bought mine at Carter's Country.

Posts: 4880 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either IMR- or H-4895 usually works very well in less-than-full-power loads. If you have a chronograph, simply start with the lowest load you can find listed for 4895 and reduce until you reach your desired velocity. 4895 is NOT known to be subject to SEE (secondary explosion effect) like some slower powders, so underloading it is safe and typically results in a reasonably accurate load. If you happen not to have a chronograph, then forget loading for either reduced or maximum performance loads because you won't have a clue what you're doing, so how will you know what you've accomplished even if you accomplish it?

I load Blue Dot in small caliber rifles like .22 Hornet and .223 for reduced loads (and regard the Blue Dot "alarmists" who often frequent this forum to be full of it), but using it and similarly fast powders in a case as large as a .338 might be a little dicey. I would feel much more comfortable with 4895.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Frankly, and no offence intended, I wouldn't have a can of blue dot anywhere near my reloading bench, and certainly not in any rifle cartridge on which I or any friend plan on firing. I'm one of the alarmists. Big Grin

About ten years ago, I thought it would be OK to go below the listed starting charge in 338WM with IMR 3031. First few shots were OK, then a hang-fire. Click ---- boom. I tried again, same thing, so I pulled the bullets and didn't do that again.

About two weeks ago, I did the reduced charge thing with H4895. I had maybe 10 rounds, and I quit when I thought I heard a slight delay in ignition. I thought I distinctly heard the click/boom, although they were very close together. Maybe not, but it makes me uncomfortable.

I know the Hodgdon web site says it's OK, using H4895. They call it youth loads.

With SR 4759, I haven't experienced that issue in other cartridges.

You are right about the cronograph thing. That's my plan. I would rather get 2500 fps than 2300 fps.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handloader #255 had these.

225 Hornady 4064-56gr.-2418
IMR 4350-57.5gr.-2107
SR4759-31gr.-1863
I tried these and they all shot very well, about 1" at 100 yrds.

I also shot 40 gr. A5744 with 225 but did not chrono it, but it shot to the same POI as the above loads. These were all 5 shot groups.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the 53gr.varget load tu2

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
bbh,
that is a load that I feel comfortable trying. It's listed as the starting load for the 200gr bullet, and the velocity is in the range I'm looking for.

I'll give that one a try. I want to use my 338, but I'm just getting tired of being beat up by it.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be a pessimist but I got on a kick a few years ago that I was going to get more use out of my .338. I worked on some reduced loads knowing I would not need the velocity. Unfortunately, I was never happy with the accuracy of any of the loads, and this from a 1" rifle most of the time. Mine just did not like the lighter loads. Shoots fine with fullhouse ones though. I tried the 200 gr. Hornady and Winchester bullets. Now it just shoots 250 gr. Noslers at about 2750fps. when I need the power.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AA5744 Powder has some great loads as well,that powder will take a lot of cartridges from mild loads to heavyloads without even a hiccup...a really awsome rifle powder tu2

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Yea, Magnum Hunter, that's basically what happened to me last time I tried this. After the deal with the 3031, I gave it up.

So, I figured I would try it again, but this time with different powder, such as Varget, or H4895, and maybe SR 4759. If that doesn't work out well, I'll just get a 338 Federal. Smiler

Good excuse,eh?

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
With this kind of loads, a .338 WM rifle turns into a wonderfull tool for everyday's hunting.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A full case of WC860 will shoot just about any bullet out of a .338 WM at 2500.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have toyed with building a 338-06 but then I think about reduced loads again so I can use the rifle I've got. If you find something that works like the 680 suggestion, let me know.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
A full case of WC860 will shoot just about any bullet out of a .338 WM at 2500.

I'm not familiar with WC860, and don't know where to get it. I think it's similar to H870 in burn rate, which is real slow. I think I remember hearing or reading that it's ok to use a full case of slow powder for reduced loads, and that although the pressure doesn't really come up to a complete burn, there is no issue with the super high pressure spike that sometimes happens with less than a full case of slow powder.

Am I remembering that correctly?

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's surpluss .50 BMG powder, about 8% slower then H870.

I've tested it for function in 6.5 Sweed, .270 Win, and .338 Win mag, and I've had no issues with it. I just started at an 80% full case, and worked up to a full case. Light bullets first, then with heavier bullets. It produces nice groups, single digit standard deviations are common. I believe it would also work well with cast bullets.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote