New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 bullet choices
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a good bullet to use in my .338-.378WBY mag. Right now I am using the 210gr Triple Shocks and having decent success with them, but would like to try and tighten my groups a bit. I'd like to stay in the 210gr-225gr range and need to shoot pretty solidly constructed bullets. I was wondering what bullets your rifles group well with? Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
North Fork makes 200 grain and I believe 225 grain bullets for the .338 caliber. I have had excellent luck with accuracy in other calibers with North Fork bullets, but I don't shoot any .338 caliber rifles.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
My 338-378 Weatherby loves the 225 grain TSXs.. Haven't handloaded any of them yet as I am collecting brass from factory Weatherby ammo... With factory ammo and no custom work done on the Accumark it shoots a bit under MOA so no complaints there... I'll see here in a couple of months or so how well I can get it to shoot with handloads....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Wink said, North Fork makes a 200 and 225 grain bullet as well as a 240 grain .338 caliber bullet. The 240 grainer is perfect for my .340 Wby, kicking and screaming if I try anything else through it. The North Forks are absolutely the most accurate "tough" bullet I have ever shot through my rifles. Try them and you will see what all the fuss is about. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking for a good bullet to use in my .338-.378WBY mag.

For what? Ground squirrels, cape buffalo, or something in between? It makes a lot of difference what your intended target is. Why would you like to stay in the 210-225 grain range? With a little more information, you'll maybe get some answers back that are more than relavent than just "my .338 Whompstomper likes to shoot 237 grain BallistiCrats".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
theirs a lot of stought 225 grain bullets out there,i'd also advise you to include 250 grainers also,hornadys 225 inter-bond and their 225,250, inter-lock,noslers 225 & 250 partitions,225 acubonds, swifts a-frames 225,250 and their bonded 225,barnes 225 tsx 250 tsx,with all that HP you need great bullets as you already know!!!regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think the 225 Interlock is stout enough for elk at 2800 fps?

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodRx:

That will depend on your impact vel. I have found them on the soft side for strikes above 2650fps. My wetpack test show 65caliber + expansion & 68% weight retention. SO I would worry about hitting any bone. Beyond 100yds you should be good.
Bullets for the big 338, I would try 225grNAB, 225gr Swift or the exc. NorthFork. The NF is likely to be the most accurate prem. hunting bullet. If you just want accurate paper puncher, go to the 250grSMK.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodRx:

That will depend on your impact vel. I have found them on the soft side for strikes above 2650fps. My wetpack test show 65caliber + expansion & 68% weight retention. SO I would worry about hitting any bone. Beyond 100yds you should be good.
Bullets for the big 338, I would try 225grNAB, 225gr Swift or the exc. NorthFork. The NF is likely to be the most accurate prem. hunting bullet. If you just want accurate paper puncher, go to the 250grSMK.

At 200 yards with 225 grain bullets from a 338-378 you are just barely below 2800 fps... If you're shooting in that 50 to 150 yard range you will need a STOUT bullet... Northforks, Barnes, GS Custom, Partitions, etc....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't mean to highjack, just seems along the same lines.

I was thinking the 225gr IL with a muzzle velocity of 2800, say out of a .338 WM. They're just scary accurate out of my Sako. With the philosophy, accuracy reigns supereme, in mind... I'm considering using them on a BC elk hunt this fall. Just wondered if others had experience with the IL on game.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best luck that I've had out of my custom 338/378 has been with 210 gr. Scirocco's, 225 gr. Accubonds, and the 210 TSX's. Have yet to try the Interbonds, but I'm sure they'll shoot like the rest of the poly tipped bullets... i.e. damn good.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem:
Another vote for the North Fork. I use the 225 gr. bullet in my .338 Mag. Got my bull moose with it last Sep. and found the bullet under the hide near the right rear quarter after penetrating behind the left front shoulder. It's a perfect mushroom & weighs 217-218 grs. What's not to like? It's accurate too.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'd say for just plain plinking, the Hornady interlocks in all sizes (200, 225, 250) shoot really well out of my 340 Accumark. I don't know about taking elk with them out of a 338-378, but anything smaller would be vaporized. It might be worth your while to step up to something bonded for the bigger elk size game.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too, vote for the North Fork bullet. I have found them to be Big Time accurate. So far I have loaded them in my 338 RUM. I loaded 225gr.at muz. velocity of 3050fps. Producing one half inch groops at one hunderd yards.

I shot a Good size Black Bear this past spring in British Columbia. I shot the Bear at the point of his shoulder, found the bullet under the skin at his rear leg.

Shot was at forty yards, retained weight 212 graines. perfect mushrooom.

What's not to like about that.
Good Hunting

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a case capacity in excess of the Winchester round, there is no need to shoot anything lighter than the 250 grain .338" bullet. Trying to cut back on recoil, or extend your range by flattening the trajectory? Don't bother, just get some premium 250s like the partition or N/F and get on with hunting anything that walks, crawls, or slithers on this continent. A properly loaded 250 grain .338" possesses enough energy to stop a small car in its tracks, what more do you need?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what it boils down to is what bullett the gun will shoot most accuratly. i find nosler partitions shoot the most accurate and will hold together on elk.partitions hold together so well, that i have 23 1 shot kills on elk with a 338 win mag. time and proformance tested